30. Dhruv

"I'll have a virgin mojito," I said to the bartender. We were at the bar stools at the counter. Soft music and laughs rang out, the main chatter coming from Mika and the other staff members. The side of my head was not left alone—I could feel someone lasering holes into it.

It was Frankie. "No alcohol?"

"I'm not much of a drinker."

The corners of her lips dipped down as she nodded her head, saying, "I'm intrigued."

"Is that all it takes?"

"It really doesn't take a lot," Mika said, poking her head over Frankie's shoulder. She was holding a glass of beer in her hand. "As long as you have a dick."

"A working dick, thank you very much."

I shook my head but couldn't help but chuckle. These women were something else. "I think just being here listening to you two speak is ruining my innocence." I thanked the bartender as he placed my drink in front of me.

I sipped it as Frankie said, "Don't give me that. You've lost all that innocence as soon as you got married."

"You're not wrong there."

"Speaking of marriage, you should bring her here. This place is my absolute favourite." I hummed in agreement but didn't bother responding. My phone chimed.

Anish: 'You free to call?'

"Who's that?" Frankie asked.

"A good friend of mine. One second." I texted him back and almost immediately his name flashed across the screen. Frankie turned to speak to Mika, thankfully, so I picked it up.

"I see you're busy at the bar," Anish's husky voice spilled in my ear.

"How'd you know?"

"Sandra told me," he said dismissively. "More importantly, how was work?"

"Great, mom. Can't wait to do it all over again."

"Sarcasm has been duly noted."

"I'm glad. Now can I enjoy my drink in peace or do you want to go over that as well?"

"Nope, I think I've been insulted enough for one day." I tried not to snicker. "Why'd you call?"

"Why do you always ask me that like I'm after something?"

"Because you usually are."

"I'm being a good friend checking up on you." He questioned me some more like he was my second mom before hanging up.

"Sounds like you two are close," Frankie said after downing a shot of vodka.

"Yeah, we—" I trailed off as my eyes caught the reflection behind her. I swivelled around in the bar stool to look at the front door. I thought I was going blind but no, it really was Veer. I hadn't seen him in years. He was with a woman I'd never seen before; she was wearing jeans and a traditional top and looked out of place but there was something about her that made me tilt my head.

Veer caught my gaze and his expression turned to one of recognition. He lifted a hand up in a wave and came over.

"You know that guy?" Frankie whispered, leaning into me.

I whispered back, "Yeah, he's my wife's ex."

"What?! And you're cool with talking to him?"

"I mean, he's a chill guy. He was my GP for a little while before that."

"Wow." She snorted. "Small world."

Veer came over, the woman beside him, head held high and carrying herself in a way that was familiar. Though once her eyes settled on me, they began darting everywhere else so maybe confidence wasn't the right word. She seemed kind and almost childlike as she blinked at Frankie and the others before staring at the ground.