18

James's Point Of View

I swear, I leave him alone for one second-- with a responsible adult no less-- and he gets hurt. Why does he act like a teenager? I have no fucking clue, but it's pissing me off.

"I'm fine, James. Really. Doctor said to just ice it and all will be fine. I'm still clear for work, so it can't be too bad."

I glared at the wall, trying my best to stay mad at him as he hugged me from behind, going up and down my neck and shoulder with kisses as he kept saying apologies.

"It's not gonna work, Stefan."

"You wouldn't say that if it wasn't actually working."

I reached behind me and smacked him, making him chuckle.

The doctor sighed heavily, looking over his clipboard.

"This doesn't seem to be far off from you usual rate of injuries, Stefan, but they're getting more serious. I'll have to recommend your retirement to the Director."

"Oh, come on, Doc. Do ya really need to--"

"Yes, I do. This isn't okay, Stefan. I've been working here almost as long as you have, and as your doctor, and as your friend-- you need to start looking to retire. You're way past deserving of it; it's going to become a necessity soon. I'm sorry."

The doctor left after he finished speaking, going to see Fury.

Stefan let go of me, sitting on the medical table with his head hung low.

I stood between his legs, and he leaned forward, leaning the top of his head on my chest.

"You'll be alright, Stefan. Retirement isn't a bad thing; you'll get to do whatever you want, whenever you want, and however you want."

He looked up at me flatly. "But I want to work, right now, exactly as I have been."

I laughed, shaking my head.

"Stefan, you have to retire eventually."

He grumbled, laying his head on my shoulder as I pulled him into a hug.

"You okay, old man?" Nat knocked on the wall, making her presence known.

Stefan lifted up his head to place his chin on my shoulder, his voice flat and depressed.

"Their making me retire, and no thanks to you, you ol' coot."

She smack the back of his head, and I gave her a disapproving look, which she ignored.

"Stefan, if there's anything I know, is that if this job has failed to kill you for so long, retirement will." She told him, and he whimpered, pulling me by the waist to press my body against his. He nuzzled into my neck, and I cradled his head with my hand.

"It's okay, Stefan. You'll be back to work in no time." I reassured him. He kissed my cheek, giving me a thankful smile.

I helped him off the medical bed, and walked him outside, While Natasha and him spoke.

"Fury wants us to see him. He had Clint come down, too, so..."

"The gangs back together for a wild adventure." Stefan grinned, his eyes flashing with excitement as Nat nodded, chuckling.

"Adventure? You mean a mission?"

Stefan kissed my temple, giving me a confident smile. "Yup! I just got off sick leave, sweet-pea; gotta get back in the ring."

"But you're hurt!" I argued, making Nat throw her head back as she cackled.

"'Tis but a scratch!" She replied, using an awful British accent as Stefan chased her down the hallway, screeching, "It was one time! How do you even remember that!?"

---------------------

I ended up coming to the meeting with them, partially because I wanted to, and partially because Stefan was limping a little and I decided to help him.

Clint was in Fury's office already, and the doctor from the infirmary was arguing with Fury about whether Stefan should go on this mission or not.

"Stefan. Walk ten feet, and then jump in place three times before you walk back." Fury said, waving his hand to the open space in his office.

Stefan rolled his eyes, but did what was asked of him, looking at the doctor with expectant eyes.

"Fine! But the next time he gets hurt, I will take this to the Supreme Court, Fury! he'll get himself killed!" He threw his hands in the air, and stomped out of Fury's office, grumbling about medical bills and how big of a 'tab' Stefan has with him already.

"Okay, now that that is out of the way- I have your next mission. Barnes, if you'd leave, that would be great." Fury looked at me, and I got up, only for Stefan to pull me back into my seat.

"He stays." He and Fury shared a look, and Fury nodded, sweeping his eyes over our joined hands with an emotion in his eyes that he had gone from them too fast for me to decipher.

Fury continued. "Fine. Your next mission is simple. Shouldn't take more than a day. The only reason all three of you are doing this, and not just one of you, is because of the new policy; any agent 50 years old and over has to have a partner, and Clint and Nat are a package deal."

Stefan scoffed. "I'm not that old, you geezer. I'm only 49 years old."

Fury looked at him annoyedly. "And in three weeks, you'll be 50. This policy is too new to bend the rules of yet."

Three weeks?

"Why didn't you tell me your birthday was so soon?"

Stefan shrugged. "I don't really celebrate my birthday, so I didn't feel the need to say anything. Sorry, I should have." He said, giving me an apologetic smile.

The meeting went back on track a second later, and I held Stefan's hand as I heard the words 'C-4' and 'no traces' get thrown around.

"You eliminate the target, get rid of all the evidence, and then get the hell out and come back home. You'll need to sneak in, and use whatever tactic to get out unseen. Understood?"

The three of them nodded.

Stefan stood up, and for the first time, he completely froze over, locking everything out.

Clint and Nat didn't have a sarcastic comment, or a teasing word. Instead, the looked at him, waiting for his instructions.

Stefan looked at the clock.

"Let's get this done. Get your gear and be at the take off zone In 5 minutes."

And then they were all gone, Stefan leaving me with a kiss on the head.