Chapter Eleven

You don't choose your family. They are God's gift to you, as you are to them.
- Anonymous.

Tyler Sanders

"Please!"

Simon knew he would get away with it, for he choose to behave the way he behaved moments ago. It was actually good that he intervened because I knew, the next words coming from my mouth would had pushed my feisty fiancée over the edge. But that didn't mean, I would applaud him for it.

When Simon opened the door, Claire got out quietly, grabbing Lydia's hand. I opened my side of the door and walked out. Coming around the car, Simon gave me the suit jacket that started all the drama. I took the jacket with much more force than it needed. My hard eyes met Simon's. "That wasn't necessary."

He nodded submissively.

Turning away, I saw Claire and Lydia standing outside the fast food restaurant. I opted for a Italian restaurant that I liked, over at the midtown manhattan but Claire said, that wasn't a place for a child. Since I didn't know much about that, I kept quiet and just went with it. She choose a fast food joint near the upper east side neighbourhood. It looked like a good place. Though I would know better if we get in but Claire on her knees in front of a sad Lydia made me stop.

My posture instantly changed into defensive. I walked the remaining steps toward them and didn't think twice about leaning down on one knee before my little girl, on the sidewalk in broad daylight.

"What is it? What happened Lydia?"

Lydia looked at me with her sad doe eyes and pouted. "I'm sorry I made you both fight. I just wanted her to sit with me."

"Oh, Lydia!" Claire sighed beside me. She glanced at me while holding Lydia's hands in her hands. "Look what you've done now. I've been trying to make her understand but she won't stop saying sorry."

I shook my head. "This isn't my fault. You're the one who started it." I pulled Lydia in my arms before my feisty fiancée could utter anything. "Lydia, we weren't fighting because of you. Don't be sorry."

She turned her head up at me and said quietly. "But if I didn't put that jacket away then Mommy wou--"

I was already shaking my head at her. "No, Lydia. Don't!" I stated strictly. Glancing at Claire's eyes briefly with annoyance, I hold Lydia's chin to make her look at me in the eyes. "It was just, your Mommy doesn't know when to shut up."

Claire gently took my daughter from me and glared at me. "No, Lydia. It's your Daddy who doesn't seem to understand something so simple as family outing."

Before I could open my mouth, Simon's voice came from behind me. "Sir?" I turned my head toward, to look at him. "Ah everyone's looking, Sir. You're still on the sidewalk."

As a matter of fact, everyone was looking at us rather peculiarly. I slowly stood up, gesturing Claire to do the same. She looked around us at the curious faces with wide eyes, as if she just realised them standing there, like me.

"This better not be in tomorrow's papers!" She hissed at me, coming closer to my side. Then curiously, she tipped her head up at me. "How famous are you anyway?"

I rolled my eyes and put my hand on her lower back to push her forward to the door of the restaurant, away from all this crowd. "Famous enough."

Before I could compel her to take a step forward, she took a hold of my jacket which was draped on my arm and gave it back to Simon. She gave me a smile to my surprised face and turned ahead. I shook my head and placed my hand back at where it was. The traces of heat quite visible to my hand through that thin fabric. She felt good to touch. There's nothing wrong with touching your own fiancée. Claire took hold of Lydia and then three of us walked ahead.