Chapter One - Break-In

A/N Btw, they'll be confused at first and refer to Thomas as "Stephen". In "The Fever Code" (a book by James Dashner aaall about their life w/ WICKED before they are put in the Maze, and yes it does show Newt's nosedive off the wall), it tells us that Thomas' birth name was Stephen before WICKED made him go by Thomas instead.

Because of Claudia's dementia, she was actually allowed to see Thomas occasionally, (which is why he struggled being called Thomas at first), and she was allowed to see him because... well, she'd forget. And even if she didn't forget, no one would believe the person who's brain was being eaten away that she saw her supposedly dead son. Whoop-dee-doo! Angst.

Now let's begin!~

Thomas' PoV

When the explosions and rumbling from a supposed earthquake began, no one thought it would be people coming to rescue us. 

It had been a regular day, Minho and I were helping in the gardens at that point, pulling at weeds and tiling the soil. We didn't really speak when we were together. It was generally silence. A comforting silence, but silence nonetheless. 

I could tell that both of us just liked the company of the other, but speaking too much would make the gaping Newt shaped hole around us wider, and it would hit once again that he was dead. 

And that I killed him. 

Minho eventually found out, and the first thing he did was punch me. I expected it that. I didn't expect when he pulled me into a hug right after tugging me up from the dirt. I think that he knew pushing me away wouldn't bring him back. 

I also think he knew that if he pushed me away, it would just hurt him more. So when he hugged me, I hugged back without a second thought. It probably would have looked weird to bystanders, two boys covered in dirt, one with a bloody nose and the other with bloody knuckles, clinging to each other and sobbing. 

But the people in the Safe Haven understood and steered clear of us, giving us space. He helped with my nose after we stopped crying, but it was a little crooked from the break. That was okay though. 

At the memory, I rubbed my nose with two fingers while tugging at some weeds with my other hand. The weed wouldn't give, so I used both hands with a scowl. And that's when the first explosion happened. 

I turned quickly, taking the weed with my hands as I felt the ground begin to rumble underneath my feet. I gave Minho a panicked look to see him returning the same expression. Without saying anything, we sprinted towards the screaming. 

One man stood above the others, and I saw his mouth moving but his voice was drowned out from the yelling of the survivors. 

Everyone ran past Minho and I, most likely looking for Vince. I spotted someone trapped under rubble and ran past Minho's arm holding me back. The young girl was trembling with how hard she was crying. 

It looked like her legs were crushed under the fallen structure. I kneeled down, pushing up a broken beam and rolling it off of the girl. "Hey, it's going to be okay." She looked up at me as I pulled more of the wreckage off of her, tears in her eyes with blood staining her hands and face.

She tried to help me push the debris off, and we worked quickly, freeing her legs in a matter of minutes. I winced slightly at the sight of her blood covered legs, even seeing a bone sticking out. I tugged the girl away from the ruined home, picking her up bridal style. 

"Minho! Take her to safety!" I set the girl in his arms, and he gave me a short glare before running off with the others. I turned to the pack of soldiers, my arms crossed with a deep glare. I am tired of running from them. I am tired of them trying to take my friends.