The Interview

I go back to the table, which is now full of puddings. I cant decide on cake, or the apple pie.

I have a small slice of the bright red cake, with white cream cheese frosting, and a small plate of the apple pie, served with custard. Its richer than the watery custard at home. A lot nicer.

I head to bed after that.

I wake up the next morning to my prep team hovering over me. They all jump when I open my eyes. Then they all start blabbering at once about how todays another big day, and I need to be up and ready in no less than 5 minutes. I roll my eyes and drag myself out of bed.

As soon as I get into the dining room, Plato tells me that he's going to help me with my presentation for a few hours, and when I'm ready with that, I'll work with Enobaria for content.

"What?" I'm still sleepy, and I have no idea what he means.

"Interviews are today Clove! Wake up girl!" He snaps. I've never seen him so annoyed.

I hold back my laugh and head back into my room to get ready. I get dressed and put my hair into a low plait, and go to meet Plato, while Cato meets Wane.

He lets me try on heels and dresses, but it's nothing I don't know. He shows me how to flick my hair without looking too sassy, and how to talk while smiling, but without coming off too sweet.

Then I go to Enobaria.

She asks me what my tactic is for the games.

"Well, I think I can be quite deadly. I'm not coming off too sweet so far am I?"

"That's true. Well we can stick with this deadly volunteer look then. The dress is cloudy but it'll work. Just make sure you smirk, and make eye contact with the audience, a lot of them will be your sponsors over the next few weeks." 

We talk some more, going into detail about what to do and say, until the prep team says they need to start getting me ready.

They do my hair all nice and curly, then they pin it up into a nice ponytail. They do my makeup, give me big lashes and orange eyeshadow.

I slip into a fluffy orange strapless dress, which goes down to my low thighs. I'm given matching orange slip on heels, and some bracelets and necklaces as well. I don't have my ears pierced, so they clip little white pearls onto my earlobes.

I'm finally ready. We head down, and sit on the waiting couch for my name to be called.

Glimmers first, she looks so sexy in her short, see through golden dress. Then Marvel, he makes them laugh, while still seeming brute and strong.

We each have 3 minutes to talk to Caeser Flickerman about whatever they want to know. While the Capitol have seen us before, they really don't know what we're like just yet.

Marvels halfway through his when I start going over what I need to do.

"District 2, a Volunteer, a score of 10 in training.. Clove Kentwell, come on up!"

I hear the voice booming through the small telly backstage, and I stand up and carefully make my way on stage, trying my best not to fall in my new heels.

I see Caeser, pastel blue hair and makeup this year, it doesn't look half bad, better than last years blood red.

I shake his hand, and he compliments my dress, and matching nails.

"Oh, thank you. My prep team are so amazing with what they've given me. I'm so thankful."

"I'm sure you are dear, now, when you get into the arena, your lovely prep team won't be in there to help you, it's each man for himself. Tell us Clove, what are you best at?" He looks me dead in the eye when he says this.

I don't even have to think about my answer "Knives. I could kill someone from halfway across the arena with my eyes closed. I can throw knives, and I never miss."

The audience before me clap, and I smile at them all.

"Would you say there was anyone in training better than you, with the knifes?" Caeser asks.

"No. I hate to admit it, but I was the best at the knives station."

He laughs.

We talk for another 2 minutes, I make sure to seem nice, but I throw in a little arrogance, and even some sarcastic comments. The buzzer goes, and Caeser welcomes Cato to the stage.

Cato and Caeser laugh, and the interview finishes.

The girl from 5 says "No weapon can match a brain" And all I can think is 'Try my knives, see if they match your brain. Idiot'

Thresh stays pretty silent, Caeser tries to joke with him, but he's surly, and only gives one word answers. His angle is clear. Deadly.

The girl, Rue, is dressed up in wings, like some sort of butterfly, she tells Caeser not to count her out, because she can hide, and if we can't catch her, we can't kill her. He might not count her out, but if I was Rue, I'd be counting my days.

The girl from 12 is up, I forget her name. She's in a red dress that seems to be on fire. What is it with her and fire? She talks about her sister, and twirls and giggles for the crowd. Forgettable. Honestly, you would think after her Parade costume she would pull out something better than girlish twirls.

The last interview rolls around, Peeta, from 12, him and Caeser make the crowd roar with laughter, then they get into the topics of girlfriends back home. Please. He says he likes a girl, but she doesn't know him. He says the girl came here with him.

That means he likes the girl from 12? He can't, shes so pathetic with her giggling and fire.

I roll my eyes, and Caeser tells him that's just bad luck, when the buzzer goes, and the Interviews are over.

Everyone stands up to clap, me included. It's only good manners. Then me, Cato, Fauna, and Catos stylist Orla, squeeze past everyone to go back to the Training Centre.