The Kentwells

I get up, the first thing I do is shower. The waters cold, obviously.
We only have warm water for a few weeks after a District 2 victory. I think the Mayor has warm water. Maybe.
I dry my hair, and tie it up into a bun, it's a bit messy, and a bit neat. Perfect for the Reaping.
I get dressed. I put on my black and gray dress , the one with all the pockets. I wear my thin black tights, and chunky black heels, to make me look taller.
I apply my mascara, not loads, but enough. I highlight my nose, and contour my cheekbones. It defines my features, making me look drastically different, but still recognisable in a way.

My older sister starts getting ready next to me. It's Selena's last Reaping, she's 18 now, but she's a state. She won't volunteer. She's still upset about our cousin, Carmela, dying 4 years ago in the games. I was 11 when Carmela volunteered. She got 4th place. The boy from 7 killed her, with his axe. Selena and Carmela were very close. Of course I was upset too, but I want to go into the games. And I want to win.

"Sel, come on, you have to look decent if they call your name."
"I don't want to. Clove, promise me something?"

Selena asks me to promise her something, she doesn't talk much, after Carmelas funeral she's barely had a full conversation. She sits at the back in school, and doesn't put any effort into training. She eats in our room, not in the kitchen with the rest of us.
"What is it?" I'm worried, she doesn't usually ask for anything. And even if she is a little wimpy, she's my older sister, and I do care for her in a way. I sort of have to.
"If I'm Reaped, will you promise not to volunteer for me?"
"I'm volunteering anyway. But if someone beats me to it, of course I'll stay."
Selena starts to cry. I knew I shouldn't of told her I was planning on going to the Games.
I don't like crying. Father always says after you turn 6, your to old to cry. Selena is always covered in bruises, she needs to cry less.

I leave our room, to go eat. The twins, Valerius and Valentina are already in the kitchen. They're 12, entered into the Reaping for the first time this year.
I cook two sausages on the fire, and take some of Valentinas leftover egg, and set off.

I'm one of the first girls there. I'm excited. I can't wait to make my family proud.