Ch 12

Alex's pov:

It had been a few hours since I discovered that my life had changed, and not in a good way.  I was once a normal basic human, but I somehow transformed into a small blue dragonet as a result of some experiment.  Me, along with many others, had been taken, kidnapped, and forcibly transformed into an entirely different species.  I had learned a lot of things, most of them being bad, and I was in the corner of my cage keeping to myself.

I stared at my claw in front of me and sighed.   It was constantly reminding me that I wasn't human anymore.  Of course, the cage was also a big factor in enforcing it. 

Beyond my small cage was the large room that held all the others like me.  People that were being held in captivity against their will.  People that had their own lives taken away and reduced to nothing. 

'Growl!'

The sounds of my stomach grumbling were telling me I was hungry.  I could feel a small urge to go to the bowl of fruit and consume some of the pieces.  I wasn't really in the mood to eat, my mind thinking differently from my stomach. 

"What am I going to do now?"  I thought to myself, pondering the very few choices in my head.

Of the limited choices, the only one that I considered doing was chatting with Issac again.  He had 'hatched' earlier than me, and there were probably more things he knew that I would need to know as well.  He was the only person that I could trust right now.

'Growllll!' 

I felt my stomach grumbling again, this time with a little more ferocity.  The emptiness inside me was demanding to be satisfied with anything that could be consumed.  After glancing over at the fruit again, I gave into the hunger and went to the bowl.

I looked down upon the pieces of sliced fruit which laid before me.  They still appeared fresh, even though they've been out for a while.  I picked up a piece of strawberry with my mouth and chewed it. 

For a moment, I forgot about everything else as the fruit was juicy and delicious.  I had tasted strawberries before, but I had not tasted any like this.  My hungry stomach combined with the delicious fruit made it hard to resist another piece.  My razor sharp teeth made quick work on the skin of each fruit I consumed, turning it into mush in my mouth in seconds. 

"Hey Alex, are you feeling better?" Issacs voice echoed in my head.

I turned to see that he was looking at me from his cage.  The violet dragon that was my friend was watching me as I ate my meal.  I was not completely used to hearing him inside my head, the new way of communicating was still strange to me.

"A little bit.  Thanks for giving me some space."  I said with a mouthful of fruit. 

Learning of the situation was bad enough, but hearing that one of my other friends was dead had overwhelmed me.  It was enough that if anyone had talked to me in that state, I would've lashed out against them.  With some time to myself, I was still furious about what happened but was more calm.

"Don't worry dude.  I could tell you were pissed and figured leaving you alone was best." Issac responded. 

"Yeah.  It's just...I still don't understand why this happened to us.  Why were we selected?  What exactly are they trying to get out of turning us into what we are?"  I asked him.

"Well, I also forgot to tell you that they are targeting people within a certain age range.  I think it was somewhere around having all their targets being under 30 years of age.  But as for what they are trying to accomplish, I think it involves something with the military."  Issac explained.