Ch 2

"Wake up."

"Come on Patrick, wake up."

"Patrick!" 

"Urrrgh."  I groaned as I slowly opened my eyes.  I was confused at first about why I was in the car with my parents, but I quickly remembered what happened and where we were going.  I had no memory of falling asleep, but the last thing I remembered was leaving the rest stop after having a late lunch.  I looked towards the voice that was calling me to see my mom looking back at me from the front seat. 

"About time you woke up.  I was about ready to go back there and shake you awake."  She said as I looked out the window.  We were parked somewhere that was bustling with both people and other cars.  Unlike the previous stops, there were a few large buildings that could be seen very close to us.

"Uh, how far are we from the hotel?"  I asked her while rubbing my eyes.  A faint chuckle could be heard from her before she replied, "why don't you come out and see?"

Confused by what she meant, I opened the car door and sluggishly got out.  I had to hold onto the car door handle as my entire body was still in the process of waking up.  I looked forward to the building we were parked at, and I realized that it was the hotel we were staying at.

The building wasn't anything fancy since we only needed a place to stay for the duration of the event.  It was close to a couple of stores that my mother wanted to go to as well as the building where said event is being held.  There were supposed to be a lot of people arriving tomorrow for it, and my father didn't want to take any chances and wanted a hotel room that was close to it. 

Speaking of him, my attention shifted to the entrance as he walked out of the doors with a big grin on his face. 

"Guess who lucked out on the second to last available room?!"  He shouted as he lifted his hand to show three cards held between his fingers. 

"That's great!  I don't know where else we could've gone if this place didn't have a room."  She replied while he turned to me.  "Oh, you woke him up?"

"Yes because I don't believe we needed to wake him up with the car horn."  She said to him as he chuckled.  "Eh, it would've been funny to see his reaction."  I didn't say anything, but I was definitely thankful that my mom woke me up before he did. 

"Well, now that we have the keys, let's start bringing the bags into the room."  He said as he gave one to mom and one to me.  I immediately took my wallet out and slid the card into an open slot to remove any worry about losing it.  Out of curiosity, I pulled my phone out and saw that it was 6:15 pm.  Assuming that I just woke up a few minutes ago, we'd gotten here close to an hour earlier than expected, and that wasn't a bad thing at all.

After putting my phone away, I walked to the trunk that was being emptied by my parents and I began helping them.  I took my stuff out, which was only a single large bag with a few days' worths of clothes along with some bathroom utensils.  I easily picked up the bag with no hassle, and after grabbing the other bag, I followed my parents inside.

We walked through the main lobby that was fairly crowded with people trying to get rooms.  I could overhear them complaining as they were being told that no more rooms were available.  Whether they were here for the event or for a different reason, they were just going to have to figure something else out. 

We entered a hallway that was lined with doors on both sides.  I pulled my wallet out to look at the card, believing the room number would be on it.  I was correct as I pulled it out and it said '134', on the side.  I scanned the closest door room numbers and realized we were close.  After a few more steps, my parents stopped in front of a door and swiped the card into the card reader.  The light beeped green as it was accepted and we entered the room.