18 | Against All Odds

┌───── · ° ➶ ✧ ➶ ° · ─────┐
Chapter Eighteen
AGAINST ALL ODDS
└───── · ° ➶ ✧ ➶ ° · ─────┘

┌───── · ° ➶ ✧ ➶ ° · ─────┐Chapter EighteenAGAINST ALL ODDS└───── · ° ➶ ✧ ➶ ° · ─────┘

───── · ° ➶ ✧ ➶ ° · ─────

While Johanna collects water and mine and Katniss's arrows, Beetee fiddles with his wire, and Finnick takes to the water. Katniss stays in Peeta's arms, still too shaken to move. I sit with my back against a tree staring into the water a few yards away.

"Who did they use against Finnick?" I hear Peeta ask.

"Somebody named Annie," Katniss tells him.

"Must be Annie Cresta," he says.

"Who?" Katniss asks.

"Annie Cresta. She was the girl Mags volunteered for. She won about five years ago," I say, looking over at them.

Katniss looks to be lost in thought before she speaks. "I don't remember those Games much," she says. "Was that the earthquake year?"

"Yeah. Annie's the one that went mad when her district partner got beheaded. Ran off by herself and hid. But an earthquake broke the dam and most of the arena got flooded. She won because she was the best swimmer," says Peeta.

"Did she get better after?" Katniss asks. "I mean, her mind?"

"Yes, but I mean, she still has nightmares like we all do, but Finnick has helped her. The two of them are close friends and she's my friend too." I say.

I stand up and leave after that. I head towards the water where Finnick is, not wanting to talk about how crazy Annie is anymore. "Hey, are you okay?" I ask as I approach him.

He is sitting in the water, staring off into the distance. "Yeah,"

I take a seat down beside him, I wanted to reassure him that Annie was fine, that they wouldn't use her to get to him but I knew that might not be true. "Do you want to talk?"

He looks down at me, "I'm fine. Are you okay? After... I know he was your family."

"I'm not okay, but I got to be, so I'll be fine. Eventually. What about you?"

"I'm definitely far from okay." He responds.

I let out a forced laugh, "Look at us, both broken beyond repair. I mean, that's how we met, we bonded over our... misfortune." I say and then look around as if I will see someone from the Capitol listening in on our conversation.

Before Finnick can reply to that a cannon blast brings us all together on the beach. A hovercraft appears in what we estimate to be the six-to-seven o'clock zone. We watch as the claw dips down five different times to retrieve the pieces of one body, torn apart. It's impossible to tell who it was. Whatever happens at six o'clock, I never want to know.