15 | Telling Time

┌───── · ° ➶ ✧ ➶ ° · ─────┐
Chapter Fifteen
TELLING TIME
└───── · ° ➶ ✧ ➶ ° · ─────┘

┌───── · ° ➶ ✧ ➶ ° · ─────┐Chapter FifteenTELLING TIME└───── · ° ➶ ✧ ➶ ° · ─────┘

───── · ° ➶ ✧ ➶ ° · ─────

The group is in bad shape — you can see that right off. One is being practically dragged out by two of them, and the third wonders in loopy circles, as if deranged. They're a solid brick-red color, as if they've been dipped in paint and left out to dry.

"Who is that?" Peeta asks. "Or what? Mutations?"

I see Katniss draw back an arrow, readying for an attack. But all that happens is that one who was being dragged collapses on the beach. The dragger stomps the ground in frustration and, in an apparent fit of temper, turns and shoves the circling, deranged one over.

Finnick's and my face light up. "Johanna!" we both call out, and run for them.

"Finnick! Ember!" we hear Johanna's voice reply. At the mention of our names I see one of the other people look up.

"Ember!" I hear Nolan say as he runs up to me.

I quickly wrap my arms around him, hugging him for dear life. "I was so scared for you." I admit.

Breaking away from the hug, "I know, so was I."

Johanna looks over at us and nods his head, "Yeah, everytime a cannon went off, he would get worried."

I bring her in for a hug as well. "Thank you for keeping him safe." I tell her.

I look at the other two in their group. Beetee is on the ground on his back and Wiress who's regained her feet to continue making loops. "Nuts and Volts?" Peeta says as they approach. "I've got to hear how this happened."

Johanna explains that they were in the jungle. "We thought it was rain, you know, because of the lightning, and we were all so thirsty. But when it started coming down, it turned out to be blood. Thick, hot blood. You couldn't see, you couldn't speak without getting a mouthful. We just staggered around, trying to get out of it. That's when Blight hit the force field."

"I'm sorry, Johanna," says Finnick.

"I'm sorry." I say, knowing from Finnick how hard it can be to lose your fellow district partner and mentor.

"Yeah, well, he wasn't much, but he was from home," she says. "And he left me alone with these two." he nudges Beetee, who's barely conscious.

"Hey, what about me?" Nolan asks.

Johanna shuggs, "I guess you're alright." Nudging Beetee with her shoe she says, "He got a knife in the back at the Cornucopia. And her —"

We all look over at Wiress, who's circling around, coated in dired blood, and murmering. "Tick, tock. Tick, tock."