Chapter 5 - Diners, Drive-Ins and Dies

Chapter Song: Summer on You by PRETTYMUCH

                                         Evelyn
The beauty of living alone in a one bedroom apartment is that I can do whatever I want and decorate it however I choose to.

That's probably the only two upsides to this apartment.

I say this with all of the love in my heart, my apartment is trash. Again, with all of the love in my heart. To further emphasize my point, the power goes out sometimes and so does the heating and now that I think about it the AC too, but at least I have somewhere to live. I'd rather live here than somewhere else. It may be a piece of trash, but it's my piece of trash.

If anything, I relate to my apartment. Running on fumes sometimes but still going with all of its effort. If anything, it's courageous. And I feel like I could use some courage.

Before my father died, he would tell me that I'll get nowhere in life with my personality. He said my "hopeless optimism" was too annoying and that I was too much of a failure to amount to anything.
He told me that it was my fault my mom died. I told myself he was wrong about a lot of things, but he was right about that. She had an at risk pregnancy with me and shortly after I was born, her heart stopped. It's all my fault.

He told me that it was my fault my mom died. I told myself he wrong about a lot of things, but he was right about that. It's my fault. He made sure that I'd never forget that, but in all honestly, I'd never let myself forget.

I was snapped out of my thoughts by the sound of my phone buzzing. I checked it and it was an unknown number.

Unknown: Hey Ev
Unknown: It's Michael

Oh shit.

Michael texted me. Michael's texting me. What do I do?

Okay, play it cool.

Me: Hi!!!!

Four exclamation marks? Really?

Michael 🦇: I have a question
Michael 🦇: Where did Batman come from

Me: Gotham

Michael 🦇: I meant the nickname you gave me

Me: Oh
Me: Haha
Me: It's because you remind me of him

Michael 🦇: Why?

Me: Because you brood

Michael 🦇: I don't

Me: Are you scowling at your phone right now?

Michael 🦇: ...

Me: My point exactly
Me: You know, I've been writing Batman as the call name on your coffee cup every morning, I can't decide whether I want to change it to Michael or not

Michael 🦇: You can change it

Me: I have an good idea

Michael 🦇: No

Me: Don't shut it down so fast!

Michael 🦇: I already did

Me: Rude
Me: But I won't back down
Me: You'll see tomorrow. Okay?

Michael 🦇: Fine

He's going to love it.

~~~