Chapter 38|Something Good, Something Bad

Chapter thirty-eight: Something good, something bad

O L I V I A

I woke up early that day, my body not quite accustomed to sleeping late. It was almost seven but I didn't feel sleepy in the least. My hand touched the bed beside me and it was cold. I sighed as I let my head wander and I stared at the ceiling.

Last night had gone well. Kai had called us when he was almost there and we had barely waited for a minute before he'd shown up. He had greeted me with a kiss. Then Kai and Gabe stood there and talked for a while while I leaned against the car and just smiled. Before leaving, Gabe and I had hugged shortly.

And that was it. I hadn't checked what the new articles said but I was in no mood to open them and see either. After a while passed I registered the faint sound of utensils in the kitchen. I pushed myself up, threw back my covers, and quickly made my bed. I threw my hair up in a bun and brushed my teeth.

"Morning, sugar!" Sam sang when I came out of my room. I blinked up at my best friend in wonder.

"Morning," I managed. "You look . . . well."

"Yes. I feel it too!" She twirled. I gaped at her.

"Samantha, be careful!" I chided.

"You're just like Josh," she complained. "Coffee?"

"Sounds lovely," I agreed. "So the pills work?"

She had visited the gynecologist last afternoon with Josh and by the looks of it, the doctor had given her the right advice.

"Fuck yes!" She jumped. "I wanted to kill her when she told me to drink more fluids and eat my vitamins, but it's actually working! I'm not feeling miserable!"

"I see that." I chuckled. "Where's your lover?"

"Olivia," she said disapprovingly.

"Boyfriend," I corrected with a teasing grin, leaning forward on the kitchen island.

"He's sleeping," she replied. "He was awake with me for an hour this morning but when no morning sickness appeared I told him to go back to sleep."

"Ah, ni-"

Ring.

"-I think that's mine," I resumed, pushing myself up. My legs moved to my room on their own account. "Probably Kai. Be right back."

"Don't take too long. The coffee will go cold," Sam called after me.

"I'm sure it'll be fine," I yelled over my shoulder, closing the door and picking it up. "Heyyy, Hotshot," I sang into it, pressing my back to the door with a silly grin.

"Hello, Olivia."

I froze, removing the phone from my ear and glancing at the caller ID. I winced, slowly bringing it back.

I really need to start looking at the damned ID.

"Hello?" They called again.

Why? Oh, why?

"Hello? Is someone there? Can you hear me?"

"Hey-" I stopped when it came out like a squeak. I cleared my throat, steeled myself, and tried again. This time it came out normal.

"Hey, Shailey."

"So you are there," she remarked. "Why wouldn't you answer before? Couldn't you hear me?"

I sighed. "I could."

"Were you ignoring me?" She demanded.

Yeah, that explains why I am talking to you.