Chapter 19 - A Broken Road

A/N: Mentions of suicidal thoughts are present here. I recommend skipping the first part of this chapter — if you find such subjects to be uncomfortable.

You have been warned!

(Also, long chapter ahead, enjoy!)

Jackson County, Wyoming.

A small populated state residing in the Midwest. Full of mountains, valleys, rolling hills and flat open land, ripe for farming and agriculture. It had once been a thriving homestead for more than half a million people, and yet it was now nothing but a desolate and gray landscape, filled with rotten reminders of a past long gone, and a future so uncertain.

Just like the rest of the world.

Tearing his eyes away from the mountains in the distance, Y/N turned to focus on the path in front of him, and narrowed in when they greeted the back of Ellie and Joel's heads. Staying behind them had been a choice, one they undoubtedly picked up on, rather than providing a real reason, and instead lagging behind without question.

Still, they had given him the deep, sinking eyes that bored into his soul. The ones that marred confusion. However, Ellie was more apprehensive than confused. The usual snarkiness and sass had dried up since that fateful night a couple of days ago.

If Joel was put off by it, he didn't mention it, same as he always went about things. Happy with continuing on their path in content and quiet bliss, as they were soon upon their goal.

"Jackson County." Ellie announced, pulling to a stop when they neared a sign that provided exactly that, Jackson County. "Means we're close to Jackson city, right?"

She was wrapped in new clothing now. Purple, white mixed colours of a type of bomber jacket, and a rugged pair of jeans long since faded along side her usual footwear.

Y/N had chosen to stick with his current outfit, having not changed since before Pittsburgh.

And Joel himself had opted for the same as before, except now he was sporting a faded red checkered shirt, one he had grown fond of if he was honest.

Speaking of Joel, "Shouldn't be more than a few miles."

"You ready to see dear, old brother?" Ellie asked, turning Joel's way when he stopped beside the sign itself, looking it over.

Before she peeped a look Y/N's way out of the corner of her eye, until her gaze was greeted by his own, causing her to abruptly pull away.

"I'm just ready to get there." Joel gruffly responded, shaking his head as he picked up his movement again and began ahead of what was left of the broken road in front of them.

Right, Fireflies and whatnot. Y/N reckoned Joel just wanted it all done and over with, and Y/N couldn't blame him. He felt the same as he did. But possibly for different reasons entirely.

And it seems they weren't the only ones feeling apprehensive about how far they've come.

Ellie chewed on her bottom lip, feeling a dreaded anticipation in her gut and so she had to ask him, "You nervous?"

"I don't know what I'm feeling."

Y/N stopped momentarily when Joel said that, before picking up as if nothing had slowed him. Back to that night before, the emotions, the numbness and the aching. Flaring inside, he tightened a fist at his side and breathed through his nose, snorting when his shoulders slumped down.

With a sigh, he continued on behind the two. With Joel leading the group, Ellie pinned in the middle and Y/N holding the rear. Their usual tactics, the same they used as if they had always been together. Knowing each other's strengths, it was the best play.