xlvix.

Jayen

Alexandra flew out of the room and I blinked several times, watching her leave. The Guard? Why would they come here? 

Oh.

Alexandra had told me of the rumors about her late husband, how he died. Maybe they found his killer. . . or maybe they were coming to question her. I shook my head and turned to Maj. She wiped her hands on her pants and swallowed loudly.

“I never thought. . .” she started but then stopped. Her voice wavered. “Goon ran over here himself just to tell me, he’s run back to stall them. We must. . . we must get everything in order before they get here!”

“Maj, what’s going on?” Joshua asked, laced with worry.

“They’re going to search the house, Jinan. . . Jinan called them here. Soran, you take little Emi into your room and hang out in there. Joshua, I need your help to clean. Jayen. . . go outside and, I don’t know, garden or something. . . No, actually.” Maj sighed heartily.

“Do you want me to help you guys instead?”

“Yes. . . yes, that would work,” Maj smiled weakly, “Stay away from the lady and be polite, if they talk to you say. . . just don’t make you two seem two close but not like you don’t know her at all.”

“What’s--” Soran started.

“No time! Go, go!”

I followed Maj and Joshua, quickly wiping off counters and putting away what could. The whole time I thought of Alexandra, where did she go? Was she getting ready like we were? Why were the guards here? If Jinan brought them here then what would that have to do with Alexandra?

I split off with them to move into the next wing.  I had never seen an Emperor's Guard. Lun’s parents worked in the Emperor's circle. I took a deep breath. No big deal. They’re just going to show up and poke around then leave, right? 

No big deal. . .

“Captain Felix, Emperor’s Guard. I’d like to have a few words with the lady of the house.” His voice was deep and gravely. It carried through the hallway and drew me to the front entrance. I looked down from the banister at Maj and the two men.

The man was wearing a white button up shirt with black dress pants. He wore a black cape around his shoulders, it was embroidered with silver birds that I see from up here. He had a mousey look to him. There was another man behind him whose face was too small for his head.

Maj stepped aside to let the men in. “Of course. Would you like to have a seat while you wait?”

“No, we won’t be long.” The second man stepped into the house. 

Maj turned on her heel and headed upstairs and right past me, not even acknowledging me. The men wandered around the room, lifting up plant pots and opening drawers. The second man looked up and locked eyes with me.

“Captain Markus, Emperor’s Guard. May I have a word with you?” He pulled a badge out from his chest packet and flashed it up at me. 

I nodded weakly and went downstairs. What did Maj say? Something about being polite? My hand trembled on the banister as I reached the bottom of the steps. “Yes? How can I help you?”

“How long have you been employed by Lady Alarie?” Captain Felix asked me. He was holding a notebook in one hand.

“Um.” Who? That was her late husband’s last time right? “About a month.”

Blue words etched into the notebook without his lifting a finger. A mage? Doesn’t matter. “Interesting. What do you know about Lord Alarie?”

“He died tragically.”