iiii.

Aoife

I followed Kuna to the kitchen. Why was Jayen so broken up over this? I didn’t know that much about her but I liked what I knew. Working here was a new chance for me, a new beginning. Jayen could be my new beginning but not if she was still in love with--what’s his name?--Jinan.

“Hey, Kuna?” 

They whipped around, their eyes were wide with surprise and they looked like I’d just stuck my foot in my mouth.

“I’m so sorry, I didn’t hear you. You scared me.” Kuna relaxed and leaned against the wall. From here I could see Maj and Jayen in the main entrance room. Jayen may have been a few inches taller than me but she was a foot shorter than Maj. 

“Is Jayen going to be okay?”

“I think so, well, it depends entirely on what Maj is telling her right now. . .” Kuna looked over to them. Jayen was still clinging on to Maj.

“What happened with Jinan?” 

“You ask a lot of questions for someone who doesn’t know what they’re talking about,” Kuna sneered.

I shrunk back, “I’m sorry, I just--”

“Don’t apologize. I’m sorry.” Kuna rubbed their temples in a slow circular motion. “Even thinking about Jinan has gotten me in a bad mood. Ugh, he’s a bad, bad man. When he gets here. Ignore him. Ignore him so well that he thinks he’s a ghost.”

“Why--” I tried to interject but they cut me off.

“He’s going to act so nice. He’s going to act like a friend but he’s lying. Stay away from him.”

I nodded. I wasn’t going to ask any more questions. The only questions I had were ones that Kuna couldn’t-- or shouldn’t-- answer. Stars, I can’t believe Jayen’s in love with him. 

Jayen. . . with her long curly brown hair and sunkissed skin. Her slender confident hands and her even voice-- what am I even thinking? She’s a co-worker, or is she my boss? Doesn’t matter. I shook my head as if to clear my head.

“Thank you,” I finally said.

Kuna nodded and turned into the kitchen, closing the door behind them. I stood there for a second. I needed to get a duster but I had no idea where to get one. 

“I can help you.”

I turned around to see Devi was standing there. She was smiling but I felt unsettled. She looked like a shark before it attacked. Her eyes were dark blue. A stark contrast with the rest of her face.

“Maj is busy but I’m a maid too. I know where the duster is. I could show you where it is.” Her voice was light and airy, like a ghost.

I didn’t have a choice. “Thank you.”

She turned around and started walking away. I followed her up the stairs and through the hallways. She seemed to float around. Her strides were long and confident. She was a lot taller than me so I struggled to keep up.

I shuffled through my mental list of Areth’s Creatures and covens. My momma was a firm believer in education. We stayed up late into the night learning about different cultures and species. I learned about Lycans and Mermaids. Faeries and Elementals. She taught me about the Old World. A world hiding its secrets with lores and myths. Could Devi be a ghost?

Don’t be rude. It’s terrible manners to guess who someone is. I remember my grandfather telling me that. I had asked who a member of our coven was. He was tall and lanky. Moved in a stiff, emotionless way. He was a good man though, he would give us candies.

“We’re here.” 

We were standing in front of a small door. Devi opened it to reveal it was a closet. It was stocked with brooms, mops, and buckets. Devi handed me a feather duster from the top shelf.

“Here you go, just put it back when you’re done ok?” Devi stretched her arms above her head. “I’m going to bed now. Good luck.”

I watched Devi walk away until she rounded the corner and was out of view. I sighed. This house was massive. I didn’t know how to get around without another person.

Where am I supposed to start?