5| Questions

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓

Questions

┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

Chapter 5: Questions (Amelia's POV)

When I made it to his apartment building to make sure he was awake and didn't sleep in and also to make sure he replied to James' emails, which he never does, I saw him coming out of the gym. I waited for him by the elevator. We both stepped in and I scanned the card, pressing the button. "Morning," I mumbled. 

"Morning," he replied, still a little out of breath. He was covered in sweat. His hair was damp with it too, his sleeveless tank was black, so I couldn't tell but judging from the rest of his body, he was sweating. He had a water bottle in his hands and earphones plugged in which he took out as we stepped inside. His phone was in the pocket of his shorts and he turned to me as I looked up at his face. He lifted a brow at me. "Something wrong?" 

"Have you replied to James' emails?" 

"Why do you ask me questions you already know the answers to?" 

"How would I know the answer to this?" 

"You know I don't check my emails. That's your job, Amelia." 

I resisted an eye roll. "Oh, of course. I'm sorry for having a little hope." 

"That's so not what you should be holding out hope for." 

"I should not hold out hope for you to look at your own emails one day?" 

"No." 

"Then what should I hold out hope for, Mr. Woods?" 

He stared back at me, his eyes traveling across my face and lingering on my lips before coming back to my eyes. "Something else entirely, Ms. Hawthorne." 

The elevator dinged and then opened and I was the first to climb out and let myself into the kitchen, sitting on a barstool and taking out my phone, opening his inbox and finding James' email. I read through it once while Michael walked in, opening the fridge and taking out everything he usually puts in his smoothie. 

It's never a pretty smoothie either. It's a green smoothie, so I suppose it could look worse. He adds frozen fruits, including strawberries, oranges, and mangos, which is such a weird combination. He adds kale, celery- gag me- and fresh basil. 

"James is asking if you're free next weekend." 

"Next weekend?" he asked. 

"There's a party being hosted by a law firm where coach Peters' son-in-law works and he wants a few team members to be there. Vince will be there and so will Christian." 

"Which law firm?" 

"Sullivan Law..." I trailed off, re-reading the email, my eyes widened. 

Isn't that the same law firm that Josh works at? 

"Maybe you shouldn't go," I cleared my throat, looking back at him. "It sounds boring and it's probably not very helpful for you. It seems like a waste of time."