14 | Can Ice Burn You?

Why did I even think that agreeing to let Sylvan have his way would be good for anyone?

"He's here again?"

Zedrif almost yelled out in frustration when Sylvan showed up to one of our little bonding session/magic training yet again, standing by the courtyard entrance like a child just waiting for the 'go' sign from his parents. He had a blank face on, as always, but I can see an unusual twinkle in his normally cold gaze. Is that... satisfaction?

That little sociopath. Of course he'd be pleased to torment Zedrif just by existing, after all, he's not known as a ruthless male lead for nothing. He certainly has no mercy for the villainess' family.

It had been a few days since I started asking for Zedrif's help in improving my magic control and Sylvan, under the excuse of training with Kail, never missed an opportunity to grace us with his unwanted presence.

"I wish to join you."

He didn't bother asking if we were fine with it, unlike the first time, and I could only look on silently as Sylvan helped himself to the bench to sit beside me.

My brother was so livid I swear I could feel the heat of his burning rage. Sylvan acted oblivious to it and merely turned to me, gesturing to the goblet on the stone table in front of us. Zedrif had no choice but to leave when he was later called by Kail to finish his homework first, sending one final glare at the golden-eyed prince along with a warning of "I'm watching you" before running off to his room. And with that, we proceeded on with training.

Kail was right, the training I needed more right now is how to get over my crippling fear of water. It pains me to admit this but training with Sylvan has actually lessened my fear somewhat. Sylvan's magic affinity is Ice Magic and so, the two of us trained our magic by me summoning water and him freezing it. I've always loved snow and winter so Sylvan's magic strangely comforted me.

The Crown Prince certainly deserves to be labeled the male lead of the novel, just by going with his divine looks and exemplary talents. Despite us being the same age, he's basically a pro compared to me which I can assume was due to the rigorous trainings he endured from a young age. Additionally, Sylvan had started his first year at Celes Institute of Magic (a sister school of Solecium Academy and labeled the best middle school for magic) as of late and was apparently the top of his batch. It makes me wonder why he keeps coming back to join me, a complete noob, in training.

Zedrif clearly dislikes his presence and he's been actively showing it so I'm sure Sylvan knows. And it's not like I'm very welcoming either, or anyone in this household, for that matter. Well, except maybe for my mother, she's too sweet for her own good.

As I've said before, House Kyanos has some sort of grudge against the Royal family which I've yet to know the cause. Even though Duke Kyanos wouldn't be so evil as to hurt a child, that doesn't mean he'd accommodate a member of the Royal family with an amiable smile on his face. The servants, aware of this, served Sylvan with utmost politeness, a treatment deserving of royalty. Only that their politeness bordered on clinical detachment. I think the only one who was sincerely kind to Sylvan in this manor was my mother, Duchess Kyanos, who always greeted him with a warm smile and even went as far as to require the kitchen to serve Sylvan's favorite sweets whenever he'd visit.

It'd be a miracle if Sylvan couldn't feel all this subtle indifference towards him, so why does he keep coming back?

I saw him do that weird face again, the smiling-but-kinda-not-really one, as I managed to fill the goblet with water quicker than last time.

"You're improving."

Sylvan remarked as he brushed his fingertips on the rim of the goblet. The water instantly turned ice, cold and solid. He executed it so quickly and so elegantly, displaying just how large is the gap between our levels. Which begs the question: why does he keep coming back to train with a noob like me?