11 | Roses aren't the Only Ones with Thorns

Okay, so as expected, Kail is a tough nut to crack. He didn't even seem touched by my very well-thought-of gift nor by my sisterly act of love. Truly a junior Duke Kyanos, they even have the same apathetic face when serious or doing business. This'll be hard; I'd have to double my efforts to win over that indifferent elder brother. I observed him from across the hall as he conversed with a copper haired young lord. The young man was too far away for me to recognize but I'm pretty sure he wasn't mentioned in the novel so he's probably someone I don't have to look out for.

I was disturbed from my observations when I felt my mother softly tap my arm. She's wearing a beautiful red dress which I now found out to be her favorite color (other than purple, of course) and gestured to one side. My eyes drifted in that direction, grimacing inwardly when I saw what she meant.

"Socializing is a must for nobles. Practice now so you'll have no trouble in the future."

Duchess Kyanos was pertaining to the small group of young ladies gathered at a table, all in the bracket of 8 to 14 years of age, indicating that they are yet to have debuted into society. Right, if I want to remedy my reputation, these social gatherings are the best way to do so. It's just that... Do I really have to? My social life back then was pretty much nonexistent, having just a small number of close friends (those that I could count as real anyways) and everyone else is pretty much a stranger or an acquaintance. It's too tiring to deal with people and I'd rather have the company of my webnovels and fictional characters, please.

With a defeated sigh, I dragged my feet towards the direction of the young ladies, already bracing myself for the worst. Anyway, I can just rely on Anastasia's memories on how to deal with these girls and what to expect.

"Hey, isn't this Lady Anastasia of House Kyanos?"

The moment I got close, murmurs arose within the table. All the young ladies stared at my approaching figure with apprehension in their eyes. Ah, what a way to dampen the mood. Anastasia's presence can really cause such reactions, how amazing. How old is she again, nine? And she had already incurred this kind of reputation? Wow, I'm speechless.

"It's so flattering that the noble young lady of House Kyanos is willing to associate with us, lower-ranked people. We are truly blessed."

A young lady wearing a forest green dress remarked quite sarcastically, her blue eyes showing ridicule within them as she raised a fan to cover half of her face. She looked to be around Zedrif's age, 12 or maybe 13 years of age, and seemed quite sly with her foxlike eyes. According to Anastasia's memories, this girl is named Scarlett, the youngest of Baron Williams' five daughters. It seems that she tried to befriend Anastasia back then but was brutally rejected due to the low rank of her family.

["A daughter of a mere baron wants to be my friend? Hahaha! What is this monkey blabbering about? I, Anastasia Jeannette Kyanos, will never associate myself with inferior beings."]

Ah, that was a really harsh rejection. No wonder she's so hostile towards me.

"What are you talking about, Lady Scarlett? This is a banquet hosted by the prestigious House of Kyanos, every guest invited are no ordinary people."

I smiled at her sweetly, subtly emphasizing just how much power my family holds. The Anastasia of the past may have belittled her but I'm not going to just let her bully me. I will snap back with equal venom.

"That's true. His Highness the Crown Prince and the Second Prince even came."

Another young lady, this one around my age, spoke up. She had short silver hair, watery brown eyes, and an ever-smiling visage. The silver fleur-de-lis brooch pinned on her chest gave her lineage away. She should be the only daughter of Marquis Drewitt, Lady Calista Jolene Drewitt. She could be considered a mere extra in the novel but Anastasia remembered her because she was the only one who didn't treat her differently due to her high status or bad reputation. Maybe I should see if I could befriend her.