[30] His Memory: The Boy at the Shore (2/2)

That night, or morning, since it was past midnight, I had a strange encounter with this boy.

I was just standing on the shore. Though he was pretty far away from me, I could still see him clearly.

Since I was too absorbed in emptiness, I didn't pay much attention, but I remembered a bit about his appearance.

Short black hair. His pants and sleeves were slightly rolled up, revealing his thin ankles.

It was dark, and every time I took a deep breath, the scent of plants, dirt, and exhaust fumes from the cars mixed in, burning my lungs.

Out of curiosity, I took a glance at the boy who stood across from me. I remember he wore a uniform I had never seen before, probably from another city.

The last bus had left long ago, and few students stayed out past midnight, let alone go to the beach. Yet, it seemed like there were people who did.

The air was frosty, and the sharp wind brushed past our hair. The light had changed, the wind also soon died, and the clouds dispersed away.

I didn't know why. I truly didn't know why. But looking at that boy forced this inscrutable swell to strain my chest.

He stared off into the distant waves with those empty eyes. He held onto his phone with arms that were drained of energy, and his breath was so light that it produced the impression that he would stop breathing overall.

Strangely, before I knew it, I found myself standing next to him.

I thought he was crying.

I handed him a packet of tissues, and I think I even gave him a drink.

How strange that encounter was.

We were both confused. I didn't even know when my body moved, but it just did. I was wearing my uniform too, so maybe that appeared less suspicious.

He subconsciously took the tissues and the strawberry drink, but I remember we just stared at each other in silence.

"Sorry. I thought you were crying, or it looked like you were going to."

It was rather embarrassing, but I ensured I wore a smile.

He looked pretty down, so I hoped my smile would at least help him in some way. It was the only way I could help this stranger.

If some random stranger handed me a drink at the beach when it was past midnight, I would probably run away. I was surprised he didn't start calling the police on me.

I didn't think he responded. Maybe he did, but I wouldn't know since my senses had all shut. He was perplexed and speechless, and I was too.

I didn't remember much about that boy since my memory is a bit poor. Though the way he looked at me was rather peculiar. There were hints of shock and surprise.

I hurried off from embarrassment before he could respond to me. But my mind was truly living on a different planet, and I didn't think my words or actions through.

I remember he grabbed my wrist and asked, "What is your name?"

I don't know why he wanted to know, but I responded, "Gu Xiao."

I wish Wu Fei had expressed his distaste for me earlier, so I could at least help him by not being in his sight.

To think that the paths where all four of us walked, the kindergarten where we argued about childish things, the food stores where we ate together, the music club room where we messed around in, the stress when we studied for exams together.

I wished I recognised the mistakes in my behaviour earlier. I realised I had indeed spent a lot of time with them. There wasn't a day when we didn't see each other. But even with all that time, I didn't know Wu Fei as well as I thought I did.

I hoped the quiet boy with the bitter expression who stood on the shore had gone home after. It was a rather chilly night or morning.

He was also dressed relatively lightly, so I hoped he didn't get sick. After that day, I don't think I ever saw him again.