CHAPTER °18°

The second concubine did not stop spouting nonsense, even after she felt like her throat is burning. "I sure you would agree with your second niang right? Our first Xiaojie is very bright! She would know what's the best." Liu Bai Pan hid the sinister grin threatening to take over her face.

Zhi Ruo could somewhat understand what was going on, Liu Su Yang was desperate; desperately looking for someone to blame on. General Liu might've been furious by now, and it would be no surprise if he would impulsively put the blame on Su Yang's head. It was very likely that she would be the only one who would have known the location, and access of the warehouse.

Zhi Ruo tapped on the rotting table, her eyes crinkled with a smile. But under her mask, she was baring her teeth in silent laughter. "Indeed, I do know what's the best course if actions."

"Yes, yes, should I accompany you to go and tell the master?" Liu Bai Pan eagerly bit the bait.

"Oh no, you are mistaken." Zhi Ruo was pleased, at the greed and selfishness of this second concubine. "I'm not agreeing with you." She would be perfect to act as a sheild.

It didn't take a second for the second concubine's face to be replaced in a disbelieving face. She widened her eyes viciously, not believing that she was brushed off just like that. "What did you say?!" Her voice bacame harsh and hoarse.

"I said im not agreeing with you," Zhi Ruo shook her head. "Even an idiot would know how desperate you are, trying to fabricate a lie from my mouth."

Zhi Ruo tilted her head, and she looked at Liu Bai Pan dead center on her eyes. "Desperate, stupid, and impatient. Tsk, and you call yourself a concubine of General Liu."

Pah! The crisp sound of slapping echoed around the barren courtyard.

Something snapped inside in Liu Bai Pan, as she stood up from her position and went to slap Zhi Ruo.

The girl didn't even try to dodge the incoming hand, and the slap landed neatly on her masked face. Zhi Ruo didn't bother to stop the grin that crept up to her face. Liu Bai Pan might have not noticed, but Zhi Ruo did.

The flimsy paper door was suddenly slammed open, an imposing man stood on the entrance of that flimsy door. His eyes looked at the scene before him, Zhi Ruo fell dramatically on the floor, and Liu Bai Pan hovered above her hands still outstretched. The maid crept on the corner of the room, trying to make her presence on the room as invisible as possible.

The man with an imposing aura was visibly amplified when he saw Zhi Ruo's body on the ground.

"Master!" Liu Bai Pan snapped out from her reverie as she called out.

She didn't call out to the imposing man, but to the man behind him. There stood general Liu behind the man, his body was hunched over, beside him Concubine Liu Su Yang was assisting him, though it was apparent that she was not faring much better.

"Kneel! What are you doing?!" General Liu didn't bother correcting his body as he shouted bloody murder at Liu Bai Pan.

Taken aback, Second concubine registered the man who was looking at her. The man's eyes promised blood as he stared at Liu Bai Pan's figure who was shaking in fear.

"Who dares..." A few of the man's hair fluttered revealing some white hair underneath. His beard seemed to coil in anger upon seeing Zhi Ruo sprawled weakly on the floor.

Zhi Ruo could feel Ravel's will humming within their connection. 'stay put' Zhi Ruo stated, feeling that Ravel would jump on the man if this entire charade goes on any longer.

"Father-in-law please quell your anger, that woman is but a lowly wench from a brothel. " General Liu called out to the man. "If you want, you can kill that woman," The general hurriedly appeased. It looked like standing up was too painful for him. Liu Su Yang also was not faring any better beside him.