9. The Ball

"And a one, two, three! One, two, three! One, two, three! One, two—— No, no, no, no, no!" She says as she marches to me from where she was standing.

With the ball fast approaching, Felipe had signed me up for dancing lessons in the castle with a lady that moved like she floated on air.
Not like the Prince will ever dance with me....
When we started a couple weeks back, she had placed three books on my head and taught me how to waltz without any of them falling.
The second week, I was down to two books and she taught me how to tango...even though I told her I didn't think any of us would dance tango at a ball.

It's the third week now and I'm down to one book as Bella teaches me the traditional dances and the songs they go with.
We're in the castle's ballroom and it appears to be the biggest room in the entire castle, decorated with portraits and artifacts, marble floors and gold doorways.

"It's right foot forward, left hand out before you switch. Repeat." She says and I sigh, taking the book off my head.

"It's just one mistake I made the whole dance. I really can't keep repeating this much longer."

"Your Highness, please. The ball is only a few days away. You get this step right and we'll be done for the day." She pleads patiently but all I can think of is seeing Halley.

"I get it, okay? Right foot forward, left hand out, switch."
I drop the book and start heading for the door but I can hear her following me from behind.

"But it's my job to make sure your moves are perfect for that day—"

"Goodbye, Bella." I say without turning around and I hear her stop.

"Very well, Your Highness."
And just like that, the urgency leaves me as guilt hits.
I didn't expect her to agree so quickly.

I stop walking and turn around to see Bella packing up the books and I sigh...
That was insensitive. I was insensitive. I didn't mean to sound so rude and be dismissive of her efforts...and somehow it's becoming harder and harder for me to notice.
Coming here at first, I could only relate to the servants and staff...but ever since the poison incident and Halley, I found it impossible to even smile with most of them.
And it may feel justified... but it's not fair.

"Wait a minute, Bella." I say as I walk up to her and she looks up at me, surprised.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be so insensitive and ungrateful." I place the book back on my head.
"Let's repeat." I say and she smiles.

"As you wish, Your Highness."

And we do the dance one last time, with Felipe observing me from the doorway.

"That was quite a moment." He says to me as I leave the ballroom after the lessons and I giggle.

"Well, dancing hasn't exactly been my strongest talent."

"On the contrary, I think you're a beautiful and graceful dancer. But I meant the moment when you actually put Bella's feelings ahead of your needs." He says and I slowly stop walking as I turn to him.

"You saw that?" I ask and he nods in satisfaction.

"I'm guessing I wasn't meant to call her back?" I ask, a bit fearfully and he just chuckles.

"Your Highness, it's one of the most admirable acts I've ever seen. It's like with each passing day, it becomes more and more clear to me why King Russel chose you." He says and I smile.

"Thank you, Felipe."

"I know you want to see your sister again, but there's still one more thing to be done as part of your preparation for the ball." He says as he gestures to some maidens that approach me.