Worthy. 4

ALEXANDER

"...and if we are given enough financial assistance, we will be able to buy the tools needed for this expansion, Your Majesty."  Raphael, the blacksmith says, twisting his hat in his hands as he awaits my reply.
It still feels different, sitting on the main throne and not beside it like I did with my father, and only several weeks ago before his death, we had sat down here together...tending to matters.

"I understand that the kingdom needs expansion, especially for shelter and habitation. But you and the rest of the villagers are not in charge of constructions, the royal workers are." I tell him, rubbing my temple. It's the same old story over and over again, needing a project to carry out so they can be rewarded by the castle.
What is it with these people and wanting more?

"But we are willing to help, my liege."

"By asking for financial assistance? The kingdom has more pressing matters to tend to with greater expenses and this is just not a top priority."

"But Your Majesty--"

"That's all Raphael," I say with a tone of finality as I sit up, and somehow he appears to cower a bit...quieting something in me.

"Yes, Your Majesty."
He bows and leaves.

I'm still contemplating his response when Felipe walks in and bows.
"Your Majesty. I believe that is all for today."

"I see, thank you." I say as I get up from the throne and Felipe walks with me, with the guards trailing behind.

"It would appear that the villagers are coming less and less." I say and Felipe gives me a look.

"I wonder why." he says flatly.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I ask, turning to him and he sighs.

"I believe they're scared, Your Majesty, especially after what happened at your father's burial. I think you should address them." he says cautiously and I glare at him.

"Nothing happened at the burial." I say slowly and loudly, "and I don't owe them a speech for my actions. I'm to be their king, not their friend."

He nods.
"Very well, Your Majesty. In other news, the kingdom of Greenland has invited you to a royal ball and feast celebrating their King's fifth child, a boy. They specifically request that you come with your..." he pauses a bit and clears his throat, "Betrothed, Melissa."

"What?" I turn to him as I step into my chambers.

"No. Send a message to them about my refusal along with some gifts."
I say, raising my hands as Caspian takes off my cape and jackets.

"I'm afraid you can't miss it, Your Majesty. The neighboring Kingdoms are aware of your betrothal and the sooner you're seen with her, the more respected you will be for honoring your father's wishes. Plus it is tradition for a King to attend balls with his wife or bride-to-be." Felipe says and I stare at him, trying not to lose my temper.

"You don't decide where and whom I decide to honor with my presence. I'm not leaving this castle or attending anywhere with that commoner." I say, as Caspian slips a jacket sleeve onto my hand.

"Lady. She is a lady now, and soon her highness and soon Her Royal Majesty. I suggest you make your peace with this and include her, Your Majesty. You have two months before the ball, so I'll remind you later. But remember, you can't keep her in here forever."
He says and bows then turns to leave.

Somehow, his words have made me angrier.
This is why I hate this kingdom.
This is why I despise this place.
How long do I have to live according to the rules and sacrifice my entire existence to this place?