WHAT IF

"So besides Brutus and Enobaria, who's left?"

The question hung in the air. All of them were focused on Lara in the distance, completely tuning out Katniss. They saw that the former was crying silently. In itself, seeing her cry was strange. But seeing her quiet was like waiting for a bomb to explode.

Everyone knew what Lara's behavior was like during her first game. But actually seeing it in real life was surreal. Almost like a myth come to life.

Meanwhile, the only person who responded to Katniss' question was Peeta.

"Maybe Chaff. But just those three."

Finnick needed a distraction from staring at the girl across the sand. So he pitched in his two cents at the discussion.

"They know they're outnumbered. They probably won't attack again. We're safer on the beach."

Johanna impatiently huffed, "So what do we do? Hunt them down?"

The woman was feeling extra vengeful after learning of Octavian's death. The two had a special, unspoken bond. Much like Finnick and Lara had, which seemed to be on pause at the moment due to grief and other priorities.

She hefted her axe up to gesture that she was totally okay with that plan. But that wasn't the case. The planning was actually put on hold as a high pitched scream erupted from inside the jungle. Everyone's heads snapped towards the sound, even Lara's.

Only Katniss seemed to recognize the scream and she went running. Everyone else stood up in alarm and started to chase her down. Finnick was the fastest so he caught up with her quickly.

The rest of the group lost them in the dense greenery of the jungle. The only way they knew where to go was to follow the screams.

As soon as they saw Katniss and Finnick running from something, they knew it was trouble. Before they could reach each other, an invisible barrier was put up to block the pair from the others.

Lara recognized the birds that seemed to be harassing them. They were jabberjays; she knew what they did and she couldn't imagine what they were hearing now.

Even though the others couldn't hear it themselves, they could see the pain it was causing them. Both Finnick and Katniss fell to their knees with their hands covering their ears.

Peeta and Lara fell with them on the other side of the barrier. They frantically tried to grab their partner's attention but it wasn't working.

"Finnick, look at me!" Lara shouted. She pointed to herself and hit the barrier, "Focus on me!"

It went like that for an hour. She'd shout for him to block it out and he'd shake his head in his attempts. But he got weaker and weaker as the time passed by.

As soon as that hour was over, the barrier shut off. Lara and Peeta rushed forward to help their partners. The former grabbed Finnick's shoulders, making him jump.

His face was frantic until he saw Lara hovering over him. He sighed in relief and wrapped his arms around her, forgetting her aversion to affection. But she didn't mind it at all this time.

Whatever he went through, it was enough to make him go nearly crazy. And if giving him a hug would help him, she'd give them willingly.

She could feel his body trembling all the way to his bones. Even after she assured him he was safe, he didn't let go. He was so shaken that he barely heard Katniss and Johanna's conversation.