WATER MODE

"Nervous?"

Cal knew Lara wouldn't answer but he asked anyway. It was a question no one usually asked her, which is why it meant something special.

Lara couldn't even take her eyes off the clear tube that was before her. That tube would be how the beginning of the end started.

"You know what you're doing," he assured, mostly to himself, "Half the tributes are afraid of you and the other half don't stand a chance."

Lara turned her head. She tried to speak but her mouth stayed shut. She couldn't bring herself to get emotional just when she'd have to shut it down once she stepped into the tube.

It was a different kind of torture.

But Cal understood. He simply gave her a half smile and nodded. He'd learned how to be brave for her.

"Ten seconds to launch."

As soon as the announcement came overhead, the tube opened. Lara's eyes snapped to it with a flash of worry.

She sucked in a deep breath and grit her teeth. She took a confident step forward and entered the tube. It instantly sealed her in and she turned back around.

Cal put his hand on the glass.

"You know what you're doing," he repeated, "Trust your instincts."

She nodded one last time before the tube started to rise. She tried to keep her gaze on Cal up until the last bit of the tube blocked her view. Then she looked up to see the new arena.

It was completely different than what she'd first had in her games. They were now standing in the center of a giant lake, which was surrounded by a broad jungle.

She furiously glanced around. Each tribute was on their own pedestal in the water. The cornucopia was in the center of a pathway of rocks in the shape of rays. Above it was a holographic countdown.

Ten...

The sun glistened so bright on the water that she couldn't see.

Nine...

She couldn't find Octavian amongst the tributes in sight.

Eight...

Finnick was nowhere to be seen either.

Seven...

Peeta was to her left, searching for Katniss.

Six...

A strong sense of dread filled her her. A knot formed in her stomach but she tried her best to contain it.

Five...

She'd decided on her plan of action.

Four...

Finnick would probably swim to the cornucopia. Octavian would find who he'd need to and swim to shore to follow the plan.

Three...

But she'd swim to the nearest ray and then run. She was faster on her feet anyway.

Two...

She moved one leg behind the other, ready to jump.

One...

The second the cannon went off, she dove into the water. She swam as fast as possible to the nearest ray to her left. It wasn't long before she pulled herself up the rocks and started running.