RED AND WHITE FLOWERS

"I was thinking I'd show them my sword skills."

"Mmhm."

Lara barely heard Octavian's words as they walked to their evaluation waiting room. He knew she wasn't listening since her eyes were directly focused on the door at the end of the hall.

"What about you?" he asked.

She neglected to answer as they reached the door. She seemed to be out of reach and stuck in her own mind; it was something she used to do during her first hunger games.

"Lara."

She instantly spun to face him and her attitude completely changed. As Haymitch said, she had an emotional flip that changed whenever she wanted it to.

"Okay listen," she began sharply, "I'm not falling for Capitol bullshit anymore. I'm not playing their game. I'm done and I'm angry."

He scoffed and muttered under his breath, "Clearly."

She pointed at the closed door.

"I know Haymitch spoke to you last night. And I'm not an idiot, I know you agreed."

Octavian stiffened up. Lara always seemed to know everything which is why he didn't bother hiding that she was right. They both knew about the rebellion now and they had promised Haymitch to protect Katniss and Peeta.

"I'm gonna go in there and pretend that everything is fine. I will show the districts that I'm strong. But the Capitol? I'm unleashing hell," she stated, "What are they gonna do? Kill me?"

She angrily shoved open the door, causing all the victors inside to stare at her. But she didn't pay attention to them as she thumped down in the middle row of seats where her and Octavian's place was.

She didn't mean to lose her temper with him. She'd just been piling it all up inside of her and it was hard to find an outlet. So she let Octavian have a piece of her mind, knowing that he agreed in many ways. Her defiance is what made her likable to him.

He wasn't too fazed by the outburst. He simply sat down next to her and waited in silence. Lara hardly ever apologized for her words so he didn't wait for it. Which was good, because she never gave it.

During their time waiting, Lara felt eyes on her at all times. Katniss and Peeta tried to be subtle but it didn't work out for them. She knew they were watching closely. But she kept her gaze straight ahead at the doors to the other room.

After awhile, their names finally got called. Octavian went first and left the seat next to her empty. And Finnick, being one to break the rules and wait for her, replaced him.

He sat down beside Lara and leaned forward.

"Feel like talking?" he asked.

She clicked her tongue, "Not really."

He sighed, "Mind if I just talk out loud then?"

She neglected to answer, making him take that as a yes. He began to ramble on about different things. She heard every single thing he said but didn't show it.

She was zoned in on the doors, anxiously waiting her turn. Outwardly, it looked like she was fine; confident even. But Finnick knew better.

He saw how her fingers picked at her broken nails and how her heels rocked back and forth slowly. Lara also knew that he was no better.

Unlike her, Finnick tended to be even more outgoing when he was nervous. He'd talk, just like he was doing now. He might even make a joke or flash his pearly white smile more often than not.