FALLEN PAWNS

"I counted twelve."

Katniss had said that, commenting on the twelve loud echoes of noise that rang throughout the arena moments before. The noises were accompanied by lightening strikes on a distant tree.

Lara sat up when Finnick did too. His shoulder was no longer pressed against hers and she felt the wind hit it.

"Midnight?" he wondered.

Katniss shrugged, "Or the number of districts."

Lara glanced up at Finnick. She could see how droopy his eyes were getting and his grip on his trident loosened every second he was awake.

She nudged him lightly.

"You need to rest. I'll take over."

He didn't bother arguing since he knew he'd lose. And she was right, he needed to sleep. He simply nodded and went back to where Mags was resting. He fell asleep almost instantly.

Katniss watched the small encounter and furrowed her brows. She barley glanced over at Peeta before turning back to Lara.

"I don't get it," she began, "You and Finnick...you're both-"

"Friends," Lara cut off.

She knew everyone in the districts and the Capitol had heard rumors. People had been trying to pressure Lara and Finnick into a relationship for years. But both had agreed that they'd never let the Capitol force them to go that far, especially after they'd been given away like prizes.

Finnick knew how Lara felt about relationships in general and he wanted to make sure that she took care of herself before she tried to take care of someone else too. He'd always put her before himself.

Katniss simply scoffed at Lara's interruption.

"Friends don't act like that."

Lara laughed and shook her head. She began to twirl her batons to distract herself and to move on, but Katniss wouldn't let it go.

"Finnick and I are survivors. We help each other get past what we did in the games," she sighed and got quieter. She looked down and avoided looking at Katniss directly, "I've watched people I know and care about die. I watched them be brutally murdered and manipulated...and knowing there are people who feel the same is better than going through it alone, no matter how much you want to."

Katniss' face dropped. She'd been struggling for awhile to get over her victory. But hearing Lara admit she was lonely made her feel somewhat better.

"Does it work? Helping each other?"

Lara finally glanced up and met her gaze. Katniss could see a shimmer of guilt and pain shining in her eyes.

The district nine winner couldn't bring herself to lie, even though she knew they were being watched.

"There's no escaping what we did to survive. All we can do is find people who understand and want to do better."

She glanced over at Finnick's sleeping figure.

"That's why I have him. He keeps me good."

Katniss nodded because she knew Lara was lying. Finnick meant more to her than she was willing to admit at the moment. Especially being in the games, she didn't need someone to keep her good; she needed someone to anchor her.

Lara looked away and towards the open area before them.

"It's no wonder why I chose to help you...you're just good," she admitted, "You want to stop the killing. And that's the least I can do after all these years."

PAWNS | FINNICK ODAIROn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara