Ch. 34 - lasagna

A/N: part 2 of how does a funeral work? Also erasermic.

Trigger warning:
This chapter is the second half of the funeral, but it's not super graphic or emotional.

Aizawa POV

     Bakugo's mother gave a short speech that Izuku didn't listen to, being too busy trying to cry silently. He wiped his eyes over and over with the back of his hands, as if to get rid of the tears before they fell.

     In a split second decision as bakugo's mother sat back down and no one else came up, I stood, walking to the front of the room. Izuku lifted his head in surprise, looking at me through teary eyes.

     "I never actually knew miss Midoriya." Shit. That was not the right way to start. A few of the formerly confused stares in the room shifted to something closer to a glare. "Well, I met her once for a few minutes, but we didn't really hold a conversation. Despite never really getting to know her, I've heard many great things about her, both today and prior. I've had the pleasure of meeting and teaching her son, and I wish I could thank her for raising such a great kid. She must have been amazing for Izuku to have turned out so strong and resilient. His attitude shows that he's ready to take on the world, and that he won't ever give up on his dreams. He truly has what it takes to become a great hero some day. I have no doubt that her son takes after her, and that she will be greatly missed by many." I walk back to my seat, and Izuku whispers a thank you.

     I just pull him into a side hug which he returns, clinging to me tightly.

     When the service ends, before we can make our way back to the car to drive to the burial, Izuku is swarmed with people, but Hizashi and I, as well as Shinso, do our best to keep them from crowding him too much. They all express their sorrow over his loss, and talk about how wonderful Inko was. I find that most of them are neighbors and work friends, all of which she left quite a positive impact on. I'm gathering that their family was a literal ray of sunshine.

     Bakugo's mother pulls out a tray of lasagna from seemingly thin air, as well as a bouquet of flowers the size of a small bush. She's not the only one. At some point in the process I guess I become the gift carrier or something because I'm holding six bouquets, the lasagna, and a box of homemade cookies. Shinso is also holding a few gifts for the family of the deceased, aka Izuku. Strangely enough Mic doesn't seem to be carrying a single thing, though I soon find out why when I realize a couple of the funeral attendees have recognized him as the voice hero.

     "Hizashi, let's go." I call out to him. What, am I not allowed to be jealous? Those women were all over my husband, and at my son's mother's funeral of all times. It's disrespectful and annoying.

     Hizashi and I follow behind Izuku and Shinso, who have already started to make their way out as the crowd thinned. I opened up the trunk of the car and set all of the flowers down. It would be impractical to have them all in the passenger part of the car. I make room for the wheelchair as Izuku gets in the back seat, and once Shinso's slid it in I try to rearrange the flowers so they hopefully won't get crushed. I hand Shinso the lasagna and cookies because they're both in glass Tupperware and hop in the driver's seat, going to the burial.

     When we're at the place my phone buzzes and I look at the caller ID.

     "Tsukauchi? now's not a good time." I speak quietly. I don't want Hizashi to hear or he'll get worried. Tsukauchi usually only ever calls when there's a big case that I'm needed in.

     "The main four from the league of villains has escaped police custody. They were meant to be transferred to a prison today but on the way over they just disappeared. We think the portal user was somehow able to use his quirk even though the walls of the vehicle are quirk proof." The detective said over the line.

     "Damn it. Do you know where they've gone?" I ask, glancing over at my family and Shinso. They're still walking a ways ahead of me.

     "We have a group on their way to the original base right now, but if they're not there we have no leads."

     "Alright, keep me updated." I say, hanging up.

     This is going to be a problem.

     I looked over at Izuku, frowning. The poor kid, he's at his mother's funeral for goodness sake. I would be worse if I didn't tell him though. I sigh, jogging to walk next to my husband. There are less people here than at the funeral service, and it's much shorter. The casket is lowered into the ground, and Izuku drops his flower on top of it before they cover up the hole.

     We leave a few minutes later and Hizashi promises Izuku that he can visit any time. I drive us all to his mother's old apartment, and he grabs the spare key taped to the underside of the welcome mat. We offer to wait in the car but reassured us that it's fine.

     "You can stay in the living room. I'm sure there are some snacks in the cupboard, and you can make yourselves some tea if you want, though I would stay out of the fridge if I were you. Most of it's probably gone bad." He offers.

     He seems to be feeling a bit better as he speaks to us, turning and disappearing down the hall into what I assume is his bedroom.

     I sit down on his couch, feeling drained and stressed. I look up when Izuku peeks out of the room he's gone into, looking past me at Shinso. The question in his eyes is silent as Shinso walks down the hall to him, and they both enter the room. I'm a bit worried at this attachment, having someone you can lean on and feel safe around is important after trauma like that, but his level of dependence on Shinso is concerning. I suppose I'm being over dramatic. It's only been two weeks and he's recovering from months of trauma. Yeah, therapy is going to be a must.

     I glanced over to Hizashi to see him already looking at me.

     "What happened baby?" He asks. It's been how many years now, and I still melt when he gives me that look.

     "Tsukauchi called, some of the league escaped."

     The look on his face now is not something I want to see.

     "W-we can't loose him, Sho. Not when we finally have him."

     "We're not gonna loose him zashi." I speak in a hushed voice. "I'm going to tell him before we leave and we're going to keep him very safe. No one's going to get Izuku, okay?" He nodded, looking down as he leaned into my open arms, and I was proud of him for keeping it together.

     After a minute or two he speaks up again, face still buried into my chest and probably wrinkling both of our suits.

     "Did you notice he used your first name in the car this morning?" He asks quietly.

     "Yeah, I did." I sigh, looking fondly down at him.

     He snuggles further into my side.

     "He called me Hizashi before we left Shinso's dorm this morning. It made me really happy." He says.

     I don't respond, instead gently carding my fingers through his hair. He's always loved when I do that.

1284 words.