Hard Way Home

Hard Way Home

Before we know it, we are back and walking. It takes about two hours before we get to one last fork.

"The entrance should be just up here with the move of that tile-"

I slap my hand over Cedric's mouth. "Shush."

I hear Ryder's voice. When he's pissed, the fake Italian accent comes out.

"I want this whole school searched! No one gets out! I want to see all of the transfers. I will be at that front door-"

"Ryder, shut up!" That's definitely Henry.

"I told you she'd run! I told you she changed too quick-"

"She's-" their voices get farther away.

"Well, that plan is a bust," Niel says.

I nod. "Cedric, does it say where that this other path will lead us?"

He shakes his head, "Milan never got that far."

"Then we have to." I start walking before be grab my hand.

"Baylor, what's wrong with you? You know what our original plan was. What happened while you were with them?"

"Nothing happened. It was like any other day with them. They were just more open to things I had to say. I'm sorry you're right. We have to get those kids-"

"Not today. We cannot take that risk." Nathaniel says with his head down.

"Niel, you've always-"

"We need to get out of here... now. Stop stalling, let's go."

And his word was final as we walk down a path. I cover my mouth to muffle my scream seeing a rat, and Cedric laughs at me, so I hit him.

"You have a rat that close to your feet. Where did it even come from?"

"You scream like a little girl." Nathaniel joins in.

I glare at them and speed up my walking.

Eventually, I freeze.

"You guys ..."

"What?"

"This is a drainage pipe. I see outside."

They run and catch up to me.

"I know where we are," Cedric says. We take his lead.

"Milan got here. It meant outside, not that he didn't get that far." We eventually have to walk through the water.

"Yeah, I can't do it. I don't do bodies of water."

Before I know it, I am in Cedric's arms.

"I am a hundred percent sure I did not agree to this," I complain.

"I don't think I remember asking. Now I don't have time for your complaints we only got one real shot at this. Bro time?"

"Noon."

I question him. "How can you te-"

"I've studied the position of the sun."

Cedric puts me down when we reach a highway.

There is no way-

He runs in the middle of the highway in front of a gorgeous 68 matte red Camero.

A lady honks and comes to a stop. She gets out of the car furious. "Are you insane! Running into a highway-"

"Hey, have I grown that much that you don't remember me?"