Ch. 24 - Fight

Rachel sat there trying to figure out what to say. She couldn't tell him the truth without betraying her sister's trust and she didn't want to lie to him. 

"I'm sorry Cain. I really wish I could explain it to you but I can't, not without hurting someone else that's really important to me." 

He scrunched his eyebrows in confusion. "Why would you telling me the truth hurt someone else?" 

She sat there thinking. "Well I can't tell you that either without giving it away." 

He looked at her and raised an eyebrow. 

"I'm sorry," she said with a sigh. "I'm not doing a very good job explaining it. Please believe me. I don't like keeping secrets from you but this is the one exception I have to make." 

He sat there searching her eyes and thinking, "Just answer two questions for me Rachel and then I'll let it go."

"Ok," she said hesitantly. 

"Are you seeing someone else?" 

She scrunched up her eyebrows. "No of course not. I'm not a cheater." 

"Ok. Second question. Are you ashamed to be dating me?" 

"No!" she laughed, shaking her head. "How in the world could anyone be ashamed to date you? I feel like the luckiest woman in the world to be your girlfriend."

Cain nodded and said, "Ok. Then that's all I need to know." He reached for the door handle and opened his door.  

"What?" he asked, looking over at her. "Why are you looking at me like that?" 

"That's it?" she asked. "You're not mad?" 

"No," he said, shaking his head. "Why? Do you want me to be or something?" 

"No, I'm just surprised. That's all. My ex-boyfriend would've never let it go that easy. It would've blown up into a huge fight." 

Cain reached over and slid his hand into hers. 

"There's no reason to fight. I trust you Rachel. If you're telling me it was nothing for me to worry about then I believe you. I'm going to believe what you say to me until you give me a reason not to."

"Thank you," she said softly. "I really appreciate that. And I'll do the same for you." 

He nodded, looking over into her eyes. "Out of everything, I think trust is the most important thing in a relationship. Why would anyone want to be with someone they can't trust? And who would want to be with someone that's constantly questioning them and doesn't trust what they say? Being in that kind of relationship would be awful."

"Yeah," she agreed. "Jealousy can ruin a relationship faster than anything."

He smiled and leaned in, giving her a peck on the lips before saying, "Now can we go in here and eat dinner while we still have some time left?" 

"Yeah," she nodded, getting out of the truck and following him inside. 

As they were eating dinner she sat there and thought about the fact that Cain trusted her and believed what she said. That was so refreshing. The only boyfriend she ever had was kind of toxic and controlling and jealous so this was a nice change. 

She looked across the table at him and smiled a little to herself. 

"What?" he asked, with a laugh. 

"We've officially survived our first fight," she smiled. "Without any name calling or yelling or insults."

Cane laughed. "I don't count what we just had as a fight. That was more like a discussion. I really don't want to fight with you Rachel. I'd much rather just talk things out until we're on the same page."