Little Wing

A few days after Lily visited Rose, she bumps into Tarutaru in the morning before classes. Tarutaru walks determinedly to Lily and demands answers from her. "Lily... What happened yesterday?"

"Uh.. what do you mean?" Lily says and takes a step back, glancing around her.

"You know what I mean. The whole campus was glowing pink, heck probably the entire town. If anyone saw you, you're probably in a biiig trouble."

"Uh oh.. Tarutaru... can you help me—us? Can you help us?"

"Tell me first what happened so I can better come up with a solution."

"It's embarrassing, so just listen, don't say anything. I'm about to mention a couple of things you don't know, and I'd appreciate it if you didn't spread them around. Like at all."

Lily draws a deep breath, sits down and sighs "Do you know that Naturals use some kind of expressionist things to release bottled emotions? Like dancing or painting or... singing."

"Ohh I didn't know, but it makes sense... but you mention singing so differently...?"

"It's.. It's Cotton Candy.. She.. sings. She has the most miraculous voice I have ever heard in my entire life. There's so much emotion in her singing you think you could taste it. It's unreal how beautiful she sounds when she's singing." Lily sighs.

"Oh man Lily, you're deep in it. But.. you sing too, don't you?"

"Ah, I- Aah fuck it, I can't deny it any longer. Yes, I've fallen for her so badly I can't even think anything else but her anymore. I hope you don't like hate me now and think I'm a freak for—"

"Lily. Wake up. It's me. I wouldn't ever think you're a freak. Although I don't personally swing that way, it's nothing to be ashamed of. Love is love. It's beautiful, no matter the persons involved. But do continue."

"Ah, sorry. So, yeah, I have kinda.. Uh.. accidentally found out where Cotton Candy sings. And I just, eh.. Happened to be there last night, and she was there singing... and.. And she just may have figured out I have been watching her, as she called to me when I was pretty sure she didn't see me..."

Lily begins telling Tarutaru what happened

"Come out, I know you're there." Rose, calling out for Lily who was outside the door.

"Uh—sorry, I, I apologize, I shouldn't be—" Lily manages to blurt out.

"I've seen you there a couple of times already. Why are you coming here?"

"I—uh—you, uh, y—y- your singing... so.. Beautiful..." Lily stutters and blushes.

There's a puff of embers around Rose and her face is lit with swirling designs. She blushes. "Em. That's.. That's the first time anyone has ever said that to me. Do you.. Do you want me to sing more...?"

"Ohyesplease!" Lily almost shouts, "I—uh, sorry, I didn't mean to sound so enthusiastic! Sorry, you don't have to, but if you want by any means, I uh, what I mean is that I won't mind if you sing.. I won't mind it at all."

Rose closes her eyes, puts both of her hand on her chest, raises her face upwards and starts to sing.

{ Fly, fly little wing

Fly beyond imagining

The softest cloud, the whitest dove

Upon the wind of heaven's love

Past the planets and the stars

Leave this lonely world of ours

Escape the sorrow and the pain

And fly again }

{ Fly, fly precious one

Your endless journey has begun

Take your gentle happiness

Far too beautiful for this

Cross over to the other shore

There is peace forevermore

But hold this memory bittersweet

Until we meet... }

Without meaning to do so, Lily suddenly joins Rose in the song. She stands up and closes her eyes, standing in front of Rose and starts to sing with her.

{ Fly, fly do not fear

Don't waste a breath, don't shed a tear

Your heart is pure, your soul is free

Be on your way, don't wait for me

Above the universe you'll climb

On beyond the hands of time

The moon will rise, the sun will set

But I won't forget }

Rose stops singing, opens her eyes and just watches Lily finish the song.

{ Fly, fly little wing

Fly where only angels sing

Fly away, the time is right

Go now, find the light }

While they sing together, Rose glows. Her hair glows so bright it lights up the whole room, her skin is covered in hearts and flowers and intricate designs from head to toe. Even though she's keeping her eyes closed, her eyes shine through her eyelids. Rose stops singing before the last segment. While Lily sings alone, Rose opens her eyes and watches as she sings. Slowly her glow brightens and finally covers the whole town. Tears stream down Rose's cheeks after Lily stops. Rose's glow dims quickly, and she's left standing there, tears in her eyes, looking at Lily.

"I don't know why," Lily stops the story for a while and explains, "the song just bubbled from inside. It's like I couldn't stop it.. So I joined her. I sand with her.. And Tarutaru.. I have never before sang like that... It's like.. I can't describe it... like it was what I was born for, like this is what I was supposed to do all my life..." Lily trails off and then continues the story.

"Lilia..." Rose stutters out in a tiny voice, "I'm sorry, I must go now.. I.. I feel tired..." She grabs her bag and runs out. She stops at the doorway and without turning around, whispers "You have a beautiful singing voice... I'd.. I'd like to hear it again." Then she runs off.

Lily stops telling the story and sighs heavily and just sits there in silence. Tarutaru looks at her.

"It sounds, it sounds to me you're not the only one who's fallen for somebody..." she says while tapping her lips with her index finger, clearly thinking about something.

Lily blushes and says "I—I dare not to hope so, but... I wish, I truly wish.. But I'm scared, she's a Natural! I don't want her to hurt! And the glow! If it was all over, what shall we do?!"

"I have an idea.. But." Tarutaru says and scratches her hair.

"But what?"

"But it'll take a while to set up and.. And you might not like what I'm going to suggest...."

"I have a bad feeling about this..." Lily says and starts to listen to Tarutaru's plan.