Chapter 38

Sixty-two hours, four minutes, and twenty-eight seconds

That's how long it's been since Mia walked out my door.

I've driven to her house countless amounts of time, parking across the street and reminiscing on all our memories.

And now, I'm alone.

When I think back to what Mia said, it just doesn't make any sense.

I feel numbed.

I want to walk inside of her house and yell at her for saying those things. She meant it. She thinks she's distracting me.

Why the fuck is she thinking that?

I don't think she would have let me go like that. So, what pushed her?

I don't know, but I'm sure as hell going to figure it out.

"Hey, happy girl!" Ben sings as he comes into my room.

I roll over on my bed and cuddle into my sheets. "Go away, you bitch," I grumble and close my eyes again.

I guess Ben didn't get the message because he jumps on my bed and shakes my body awake. "It's time to get up, Nathaniel!" He hums as I look over at him.

"Mia used to call me that," I mumble, upset because he just reminded me about Mia when I had forgotten about her for a second. Okay, I was lying. It was half a second.

"I know, buddy," he looks at me sympathetically. "It's okay to be mad at her, you know that, right?"

I roll my eyes and huff out a breath. "I can't be."

"Course you can, bro. Just call her a bitch and get over it. We have the whole season ahead of us." He slaps my shoulder as he sits down next to me.

I smack him back and grumble, "Don't you dare call Mia a bitch. The only bitch here is you if you think I'm just 'going to get over her.' That's a bunch of shit. I'm not getting over her."

He looks over at me and gives me a small smile. "I know it seems like your life is over, but it's not, Nate. You'll get over her and move on-"

"Stop it. Stop it. Stop it." I repeat over and over as I stand up and pace the floor. "Just because Josie doesn't want to be with you," I point at him. "Just because you're a little bitch doesn't mean that you have to take it out on me and my relationship." I take my hand away and look at him dead in the eyes. "You don't get to say anything. If I hear one word out of you, we'll no longer be friends. I've never even seen you in a relationship, so back down. I'm not listening to you," I yell before I walk out of my room and jog down the stairs.

All the boys are sitting there waiting for me.

"The fuck are you all doing here?" I cross my arms at the base of the stairs. I hear Ben jog down after me and stop two steps above me.