Chapter 18: The Showdown

General Lao looked down at the boys with a satisfied look. The look a hunter has after catching its prey and pinning it to the ground so it can't escape.

"General Lao, you're a traitor!" Zuko shouted. He knew the man did not respect his rule, but he did not think he would go so far as to try and overthrow him.

"If you were even half the leader your father was you would have figured that out long ago boy," Lao mocked the Fire Lord and began circling the boys. "Now I have you right where I want you to be."

"You'll never get the throne, my uncle is more powerful than you will ever be," Zuko said smugly. His uncle was no fool and general Lao was.

"My boy I do not plan to overthrow your uncle," Lao said as he stopped in front of them. "Your uncle is an old man. Soon enough his time will come and he will be replaced. You have no heir, and your family is broken. It is over."

Not if Zuko had anything to say about it. He glanced over to Sokka who nodded. Zuko rushed towards general Lao and shot two quick blasts of fire towards him. Lao snuffed out the attacks with ease and stepped back. Two of the prisoners blocked Zuko's path to him, forcing him to change his target and take on the two of them. Sokka began engaging two of the non-bending prisoners with his machete, matching each of their parries with a block of his own, quickly followed by a jab.

Zuko quickly took down the two drunken firebenders, only to find himself facing a group of four soldiers and three other prisoners who appeared to be less impaired than the others.

"It has been a pleasure fire lord Zuko, but I must be going," general Lao said, the grit in his voice only further angering Zuko.

The general walked away down a hallway near to the left of the fireplace without a hint of concern. Behind him two thuds indicated Sokka had taken down his opponents, which was confirmed when the water tribe boy appeared on his right.

"You ready?" he asked Sokka to which he replied, "Like you even had to ask."

The two charged forward. A mix of grunts and bursts of flames filled the room as the two boys dodged incoming fists and fireballs. While their opponents had size and muscle on their side, Sokka and Zuko had speed and skill on theirs. The two took down one enemy after the other, but time was not on their side. The more time they took fighting off the prisoners and guards, the more time Lao had to get away.

"Go find Lao," Sokka said as he struck down one of the fire nation guards with his machete.

"But..." Zuko started to say but was cut off by Sokka, "Go I can handle these guys."

Zuko did not like this but Sokka was right, they could not let general Lao get away or all of this would have been for nothing. He knocked out one of the guards and ran off down the hall Lao had gone down.

At the end of the hall was a set of double doors that Zuko burst through. Lao stood rummaging through a desk on the other side of the room in front of a large window overlooking the ocean.

"It's over Lao, there's nowhere for you to go," Zuko said and got in a fighting stance. The doors behind Zuko slammed shut, and Lao set down the papers he was holding. "Au contraire my naïve fire lord. You have played right into my hands."

--

Sokka dodged yet another blast of fire and used the opportunity to slip his leg behind the Fire Nation soldier's ankle and knock him off his feet. Sokka dodged out of the way as a loud yell alert him someone was attacking from behind.