Epilogue

Bhojraj's demise meant Shivaditya was the king now.  It was a national calamity. Dev and Poonam arrived for the funeral as soon as they heard the news.

After 14 days of mourning. Shivaditya and Chitrangada were coronated as the king and queen of the Chalukya empire. Her destiny was finally getting fulfilled.

She was sitting next to Shivaditya on the throne. Her hand instinctively on her still flat stomach.

A heavy crown perched on her head.

His first decree as the king was to declare Devburman as the king of Patan and form the western Chalukya Dynasty.

A year later -

The palace was decorated like a bride. It was the wedding of princess Kamakshi to Prince Dharmpal of the Pala dynasty.

Chitrangada was holding her 3-month-old son Pulkeshin named after the founder of Chalukyas.

The baby slept blissfully in her arms. She had an army of nurses and governesses but she liked to be with her son as much as possible.

Poonam who was now the Queen of Patan was sitting alongside her.

Poonam's glowing face and protruding belly announcing her pregnancy.

Queen Vijaya looked at her family cheerily.

"That is not how you do her hair." Chitra frowned at the maid who was twisting Kamakshi's hair into an elaborate knot.

"Let me show you." She passed on the baby to a nurse and went to Kamakshi to dress her up as a bride.

"Your majesty, you should not be doing this." The maid stammered.

"It's fine, better than spoiling her hairstyle," Chitra replied.

"His majesty is arriving." The guard announced.

Chitra turned towards the door Shivditya looking regal in his royal outfit and crown arrived with Dev.

Somehow he had become more handsome as the time passed. He still made her blush.

"Ladies if you are ready shall we proceed for the wedding?" Shiv joked.

"No we need one more hour," Chitra said grinning.

Shiv rolled his eyes.

Dev smiled at Poonam and offered her his hand to help her stand.

Kamakshi was married with a grand fanfare. And everything was settling back to normal.

Chitra gazed lovingly when Shiv cooed to baby Pulkeshin is his arms. The baby laughed and grabbed his finger stuffing it into his mouth to suck on it.

"He looks just like you." Chitra smiled.

"He has your eyes." He said gazing at the baby's amber eyes.

"Good he has best of us both," she grinned.

"I want a daughter just like you," Shiv said.

She laughed.

"You are always in a hurry we just had Pulkeshin."

"I want to have a lot of children." He grinned.

"I would fat as a hippo then," Chitra grumbled.

"I would still love you though." He replied kissing her hand while Pulkeshin stared at him with his innocent eyes.

Everything was bliss.

The end.

Author's note -

A history buff I enjoyed writing this story and giving a glimpse of history. Most of the facts I have verified from different sources.

The Chalukya dynasty ruled parts of southern and central India between the 6th and the 12th centuries. During this period, they ruled as three related yet individual dynasties. The earliest dynasty, known as the "Badami Chalukyas", ruled from Vatapi (modern Badami) from the middle of the 6th century. They formed a related dynasty of Eastern and Western Chalukya by capturing the Gurjar kingdom of the west.

I based my story around that time.

All characters and story are imaginary.