4 ~ Meeting Zeenat Begum

Gulaab POV

I woke up and we all started our journey as usual. I had become tired of traveling now. It was exhausting as I never traveled this much.

Finally, we were only a day away from the kingdom. I was sitting in my palanquin and as usual, peeking through a small space in curtains. The convoy was very huge and all I could see was an army in black. 

Suddenly my sight fell on something visible in the direction of the horizon. It was the time of the evening and I could see the redness in the clouds. The area seemed like a desert and it had a clear sky. The sun was setting behind a vast architectural structure which was covering till my sight was allowing me to. It had huge towers and there was a round Gumbad over it too. It seemed like a very huge kingdom where almost a whole village could live easily.

While I was looking there, I realized the sand now became huge stones and the path was like climbing a slant mountain. I felt as if my stomach twisted. I adjusted myself as I realized we were close. I heard trumpets blowing as we were climbing the path. 

Suddenly, I felt Nagma near my palanquin as she said.

"Begum, we are close to the palace." I could feel the excitement in her voice that somehow scared me. 

I didn't know what to expect or what now. I felt butterflies in my stomach not in good but in a bad way.

We moved closer and soon I was asked to come out of the palanquin. I lowered my veil and took a deep breath.

I was walking with the attendees following the steps that only I could see through the veil. I realized that I stepped into the Empire when the grey-colored stones of the floor changed to red ones. The trumpets blew again and I could feel that something was happening in front.

I stopped when everyone stopped and I realized suddenly the sultan came to me and said.

"Come with me," He said and held my hand. I walked with him. I could only see his feet as the rest was covered by the veil I was wearing. He stopped in front of someone and I heard him greeting her. His hand felt rough and big as he was holding mine.

"Mashallah, chehre pe gajab noor hai aapke"

"Oh My god! You have a really well glow on your face" He said to someone and then I heard a girlish voice.

"Welcome Sultan, I hope you had a great journey"

I didn't know why I felt her like his wife.

"Naqab to hataiye Choti begum

"Pull your veil up, Choti begum" I heard a very sweet voice and I felt in a moment, someone pulling my veil up.

"Masha'Allah, Behud khoobsurat hai ye to"

"Oh My God! She is so beautiful"

I didn't know what to say and all I could think of was kneeling and touch her feet. She took a step back and looked at me awkwardly. She looked at the person standing beside me and he said.

"They greet like this"

And then my sight fell on her big baby bump.

She is pregnant.

Suddenly, I felt her coming closer and hugging me softly. I hugged her back awkwardly and felt a little uncomfortable with her big tummy.

"Kya naam hai aapka"