28| A Sweet Surprise

|Chapter -28|

* * *

It stings to see your favourite people dismiss your existence by rejecting your unconditional love. When you love someone with all you have, you wish for the person to do the same. To cherish you with the same emotions your heart is giving out, but when the contrary happens only two scenarios would be possible. One, you whine and cry for their attention or you rebel against the world to seek that attention. Either way, you beg. You beg for a small ounce of their heart to fill in for your dying soul.

It took years for Riya to realise this. It cost her several sleepless nights as slept in a cold bed praying for her mother to switch on the bedroom lights and save her from the monsters underneath her bed, but only in the mornings would she realise that her mother had abandoned her. That she might never come to save Riya from her fears or pat her back to encourage her to overcome them.

Riya became a troublesome child to deal with. As she grew, troubles followed her footsteps like her shadow. She transferred almost four schools for her lack of discipline but in reality, she would damage the school property just in anticipation that her mother might show up. In sixth standard her social teacher reprimanded Riya about the homework she never bothered to do, her teacher made her kneel in front of the whole class as a punishment and in return, Riya ripped her book and threw the remains on her teachers face earning another transfer.

However, that was the last time she ever caused any trouble. Seeing her father hanging his head low and begging the principal to let her continue the school pained her tender heart. She was so busy trying to attract her mother's attention wishing that her mother might show up once, for the sake of the blood they share, either to punish her or to take Riya in her arms, that she forgot about her father.

But given the case that never happened. Riya didn't bother to even visit the school nor did the school seemed to be fond of a troublesome girl with terrible family issues. 

When her mother left or rather dumped her she decided to never beg for anyone's presence in her life ever. To treat everyone like the silver ring around her finger: only required to enhance her beauty and nothing more. But look at her now, her dull eyes shining with delight and tears as she fell to the ground crying, the crashing relief and happiness were suddenly too much to handle.

Her heart almost gave out at the sweet ache when she peeked at her prince charming in between her cries. His dark brown orbs were filled with concern as he scooted down to her level placing his arms around her shoulder pulling her up, and his touch was enough to make her go crashing to him, hiding her wet face in the nook of his neck inhaling his fading smell like an animal.

His sweet scent of woods and earth still working like a drug to her addicted soul. Her hands remain circled his waist as she hears him speak for the first time, "What is wrong? Did you hurt yourself?"

Hearing his soothing rough voice Riya wanted to scream loudly and punch him senseless, he left her alone at this house to be a maid and now he has the audacity to even ask her what's wrong? Regardless of the flooding thoughts in her brain, her lips remain glued as she tried to calm herself in his warm embrace.

Her soft sobs echoed through the dense woods as she managed to squeak, "I-i lost my way."

A burst of Humble laughter erupted through his mouth and his chest vibrated against her body making her tighten her arms around his waist squeezing the life out of him, with a soft smile.

His laughter engraving serenity in her heart like the beautiful orange dawn of a day.

If only she were a witch, she would chain him to herself with no void even for the air, his earthly smell is just enough to survive for this life.