ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ¹⁷

ɪ'ᴍ ꜱᴏ ꜱᴏʀʀʏ ꜰᴏʀ ᴛʜᴇ ꜱᴜᴘᴇʀ ꜱʜᴏʀᴛ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ. ʟᴏᴛꜱ ᴏꜰ ᴅɪᴀʟᴏɢᴜᴇ ᴀɴᴅ ꜱᴏᴍᴇ ᴘʟᴏᴛ ᴛᴡɪꜱᴛꜱ ᴀʟᴏɴɢ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴀʏ. ꜱᴏʀʀʏ ꜰᴏʀ ᴛʜᴇ ᴀʙꜱᴇɴᴄᴇ ᴏɴ ᴛʜɪꜱ ʙᴏᴏᴋ.

Maeve's POV

It was the dead of night when I slipped myself out of Anna's mind. Finally able to have some peace and quiet after weeks upon weeks of worry and suffrage on my part. And yet absence is the only way to save my dear Anna. Who would have guessed.

Passing through the gateway once more, I am met with familiar faces. Dear Didyme was finally joining us today, it seemed, and she brought Arcadia and Calliope with her.

"You're late," Arcadia snapped.

"Like always," I quipped, running a hand through my brown hair. "Do you have it?"

"Obviously." My daughter's nose flared as she handed me the object I required. "Will this really work?"

"Maybe, maybe not." They all frowned. "I won't lie to you."

"We know," Didyme said, looking down at the misty ground below. "You've never lied to us before."

"And I don't plan to anytime soon," I added. "I'll take this to her and see if my suspicions were correct. Years of research and collection of knowledge has led us to this fateful point. Everything is on the line, do you understand?"

"History made and history kept."

____________________________________________

Anna's POV

Hanging up the wet towel I'd previously used to dry myself off, I notice the small shift in my mind. Maeve's presence was with me once again, lurking like some stalker in my mind. I suspect that's what she's become. No longer speaking, simply listening. We'd switched roles during the past few months. I hope my ramblings amuse her.

Aro stood at my side, running a hand through my half-dried hair. I'd forced everyone to take a shower after our trip down to the beach. There was no way I would risk having sand in the bed tonight. No, that would be awful. Terrible. Horrific. Sand should be on the beach, not in my comfy vacation bed. Even if I don't sleep the idea sends shivers down my spine. Who even likes sand anyways? It gets absolutely everywhere. Greece sure does have a lot of it. I wonder how they keep the beaches here so nice.

It wasn't always so difficult. Humans and climate change. You know how they are.

I took in a deep breath. Aro hummed in confusion, kissing the top of my head.

"You fucking bitch," I seethed in anger.

"Pardon?" Aro questioned.

"No, not you honey." My mate looked relieved to know that I hadn't called him a bitch. "Just- Gimme a moment to conduct my response."

You realize I can hear you, Anna. You little bitch. You little fucking bitch. You show up out of the blue and all you have to say is Humans and climate change? WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU? WHERE THE FUCK HAVE YOU BEEN? I'VE BEEN WORRIED SICK YOU DUMB BEING INSIDE MY HEAD. Nice to know I'm still loved. If I could kill you, I would. Mhm.

I wasn't kidding when I said I would have killed her if she weren't a voice inside my head. Lord, does she think I'm just some random vampire she can fuck with? Worried sick for months and the first thing she talks about is climate change. I think I should get you a human body just to kill you.