Chapter 9: The Attack of the Squirrels. [Edited]

Nathan Underhill.

Life in Shadowdale slowly grew on me. A week after our meeting with the Supreme, she inducted us into her coven, much to my surprise. I was angry actually. As a habit, I didn't grow attached to the places or people in the towns we hid in, knowing that we'd pick up our bags and flee soon afterwards. My mom, however, told me that we needed their help if we were to stay in Shadowdale permanently. The thing was... she did not include me as she used to and now she expected me to fall in line without questioning her judgment, which was difficult. I hated it to stumble around in the dark without a clear and safe way forward.

Joshua became my best friend overnight, not my choice though. He had the ability to bulldoze over your own feelings and, at the same time, had successfully convinced you it was for your own good. It was a deadly gift. I just rolled with it because he had bigger puppy dog eyes than I had and he knew how to wield them. For the last couple of days, he had shown me around town and introduced me to his other friends amongst the coven. It surprised me at how popular he actually was, but for me it would have been a drag to say the least. I was already tired for his sake.

Monday morning arrived and it was my first day at Shadowdale College. I was busy devouring a piece of bacon while my little sister sat eating her oatmeal. Yuck! Couldn't believe she was actually happy to eat that muck, which was weird because she was also a werewolf. I took a piece of bacon and held it in front of her face.

"Ew! Get it away. Piggy murderer!" she bawled, slapping my fork away.

I chuckled while stuffing the last piece of bacon into my mouth. Even at her young age, Lilly had more moral convictions than most politicians had and one of those was that she was a vegetarian. Her wolf must have hated her guts. I felt sorry for the poor soul who would never experience the heavenly delight that was bacon. My sister's eyes darkened while her eyebrows furrowed. She clambered off her chair and took her bowl of muck with her while keeping eye contact with me as she walked out of the kitchen. If the glare she threw at me could kill, I'd already have a bullet between the eyes.

My mom entered the kitchen, glancing at Lilly for a second. "What did you do?"

I shrugged and replied, "Nothin'." I continued scarfing down the last of my scrambled eggs. "I just offered her a piece of my bacon."

"You're playing with dynamite." My mom laughed while sorting through the first batch of laundered clothing.

"Mom knows she can't keep up resisting eating meat. The next time someone comes close to her she might chew their legs off."

"Come on, leave her alone."

I picked up my empty plate and placed it in the sink. "I'm just giving you a fair warning." I walked past my mom and pecked her on the cheek. "See you later."

"OK, Honey. See ya later!"

I walked up to the front door and grabbed my backpack. I bolted out of the front door and got into the SUV. I reversed out of the driveway and headed off toward college.

***

As I drove up to the college, a massive building of glass and concrete appeared from behind a curve of trees. I had finally reached the top of a large hill. Yes, they built the college on a hill. Didn't know why and I didn't care, but it was a pain in the ass to get there, to say the least. I had to drive in a long winding circle to the top for at least ten minutes before I parked the SUV in the institution's parking lot.

I climbed out of the car and slung my backpack over my shoulder. I made my way toward the main walkway that led to the entrance of the college's main building. It was surprisingly different from what I expected the building to look like. Instead of old and regal, the building was a marvel of modern age construction surrounded by a massive sea of green grass. Dozens of oak trees offered shelter to the students who studied beneath them or just lounged around before their classes.