19 | scarred violence

.

Chapter Nineteen

.

My mind numbs with all the possibilities of what might have happened. I look outside the moving car through my window. It has been about an hour already and Zach's strangely quiet.

Except every once in a while, he smiles to himself. And, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit spooked.

The night sky is beautiful. I try to take my mind off the blood on Zach's shirt, and the cuts on his fist, and fix my gaze on the stars.

A moment later, I again find myself looking at Zach's fist. I open my mouth to say something but nothing comes out. So, I turn my head to the side and look at the deserted place.

"We're almost there," Zach speaks for the first time. His voice is low. I turn to face him and our eyes meet momentarily before he looks at the road again.

After ages, Zach pulls to the side in a secluded area. My eyes widen when I find a beautiful cottage in the middle of nowhere. I get outside the car and hug myself when chilly wind greets me. I feel like a girl in a horror movie.

Zach, however, smiles at me. His eyes twinkle in the dark. God knows what's going on in his mind. I just hope what I said didn't turn him crazy.

Zach motions me to follow and walks to the door of the cottage before knocking.

The door is opened by a beautiful girl who smiles at Zach before her eyes turn to me. She smiles at me warmly too. She has dark blonde hair that is pulled into a messy bun and she's quite tall, standing at maybe 5'7" wearing a black silk nightdress. She looks the same age as me.

I feel something burning in my chest and I desperately hope it's not jealousy. I smile back at her, not knowing what to do.

"Rose, Ella. Ella, Rose," Zach introduces us to each other.

"She really is beautiful, how'd you get her to like you?" Rose smirks at Zach and he shakes his head with a smile. I just look at them in confusion.

A bulky man of the same height as Zach joins. He possessively snakes his hand around Rose's waist that causes the burning feeling in my chest to somewhat fade, and nods at Zach before looking at me.

"You must be Ella," he gives me a small smile. "I'm Archer," he adds. I smile back at him, getting more confused than ever. With ripped body, he is clearly someone you'd be afraid of. Especially with the scar running on the side of his face.

But I know not to judge someone by their scars.

Rose notices me shivering because of the chilly wind and we walk inside. The cosy cottage is so beautiful, I wish I could spend my holiday here. I wipe the thought away when I'm reminded of the present situation.