CHAPTER TEN

I could not drive because I felt so nervous.

After what seemed like hours in the taxi I chartered. I was finally standing in front of Demola's house.  I stood there for about five minutes, contemplating what I was going to say, before I decided to take a courageous step and ring his bell. Fortunately, Tonye was at home and he let me in.

I walked in and greeted Tonye as he ushered me into the house. I stood in the waiting area and was so happy to see Demola when he walked in shortly afterwards.

Demola froze and so did I.

We were both staring at each other without saying a word.
Tonye looked at his boss and looked at me. Being the quick witted man that he was, he sensed tension.

"I'll leave you to have your meeting. I'll be in the guest house if you need me sir," Tonye said.

Demola nodded without looking in his direction.

I took a few cautious steps towards him, "Demola, I am so sorry. I was wrong to not allow you explain yourself. You were right, I had anxiety and issues that I didn't open up to you about. It held me back from giving you what you deserved."

I stepped closer and he shook his head as he responded. "Do you know what I passed through after you left? You destroyed me. What kind of relationship falls apart because of an e-mail from an unknown source? You didn't even let me explain."

He turned his back and looked at the floor before looking at the ceiling. Perhaps he was trying to control his tears.

"Hon– Amarachi, I think you should leave."

I sobbed uncontrollably and grabbed him from behind. "I was wrong to walk out on you without fighting for us first. I will not let that happen again."

When I grabbed him, his tense body relaxed slightly. "Demola, please let me tell you what I should have told you before we fell apart. It will explain why I was so guarded. It was not that I did not care for you. Please Demola, I will tell you and you can send me away if you want afterwards."

He turned towards me and looked me in the eyes. "I'm all ears," he said.

I took a deep breath and tried to calm my racing heart. "My friend Salyra Audu, who was also known as Susan, and I had just concluded our O level examinations. We stopped at her friends house on the way from school." I sniffled before continuing, "She said she just wanted to get a DVD, and we planned on watching during the weekend. I waited outside, but she did not come out. I got worried because my parents were very strict, and would not take me coming home late lightly. It was when I decided to go in and check what was taking so long. I walked in on–"

At that point I broke down in loud sobs and Demola put his arms around me. "Are you sure you can continue?" he asked gently.

"Yes. I need to talk about it." I replied, "I walked in on the guy Susan thought was her friend."

Demola rubbed his hand down my back and whispered gently into my ears, "You do not have to continue."

"It was not just him. Two of his friends were also involved."

Demola swore under his breath. "Bastards. They should suffer for what they did."

"She was screaming and asking me to help her, but I couldn't Demola," I cried, "One of the guy's friends grabbed me as I was about to run out but I escaped after poking him in the eyes with a pencil."

Demola continued to rub my back as I cried on his chest.

"I ran to call a trader near the house, but by the time we got back, they had all had their way. A trader gave her the cloth she wrapped around her body on the way home. Unfortunately, Susan was falsely accused of dating the boys secretly and claiming that she was assaulted."

Demola rubbed my back as I continued sobbing, "She was treated at a clinic in the area, and was at home, depressed for weeks. Her parents feared that their daughter would be stigmatized so they didn't demand justice for her. She fell sick and died a few weeks later."

Demola gasped and held me tighter. "It wasn't your fault. There was nothing else you could do."

"I suspect that she committed suicide and it was covered up." I sobbed.

"My parents saw how badly I was affected by losing my friend, so they relocated our family to Abeokuta. I was discouraged from talking about what happened."

Demola lifted my face with both hands. "Look at me Amara. Those bastards don't have the right to steal your joy."

"You're right," I said, sniffing. "Just for the record, someone I met at ABU that heard about what happened, told me that the three guys died in a house fire some years later. The house burnt to the ground."

Demola wiped my tears with his thumbs and pulled me into another hug. "Let's go and sit down. You must be tired."

I breathed a sigh of relief. All the tension of not knowing what to expect from Demola and telling that story had left me feeling drained. Nevertheless, I felt as if a heavy load had been lifted off my chest.

Demola got me a cold glass of water and I leaned back in my chair as he held my hand. "You kept all that hurt and pain locked in for so long. Honey, I think you might have—"

"Post Traumatic Stress Disorder?Yes, I know, I just refused to acknowledge it up until now. I realise that I need help, and I will not sweep my hurt under the carpet any longer. I want to heal and move on."

Demola looked at me with admiration in his eyes, "I want to be by your side as you take your journey of recovery, Amara."

I squeezed his hand. "Thank you. Thank you so much." I finally hugged him tighter than I had ever had before.

"I love you, Damilola Amarachi Oyelowo."

"I love you, Demola Adekunle Davies."

We sealed our confessions with a sweet but passionate kiss. I put my hands on his broad shoulders and sighed with contentement. He put his hands around my waist and my heart swelled with joy. All my sadness and longing for him...the man I loved, faded away.