CHAPTER EIGHT

DEMOLA

Damilola mi owon walked out on me.

Amara my sweetheart didn’t look back.

After all the wonderful times we spent together and the relationship we had, she didn’t even want to let me explain. Heartbreak is the most indescribable pain. I was falling to pieces, but putting a brave face on each day.

Day one to day seven I was so angry that she didn’t even bother to let me explain. By day eight, I woke up with a massive headache and a heart so broken I had to force myself to get out of bed.

My responsibilities in running Regal Tech Corporation and my other various business ventures could not permit me to allow the pain to surface. So, I suppressed the pain with work. I took on even more responsibilities and refused to designate any duties I could handle on my own. Within short intervals, I shuttled between Lagos, Port Harcourt and Abuja. The major commercial hubs and the capital city. Returning to my toxic cycle of strain and stress.

Before I met my sweetheart, I didn’t have specific off days. I worked day and night on various computer software, developing applications, telecommunications and real estate projects. Meeting her had been a turning point.

My father admitted that he thought that she was perfect for me, so he frequently went to the hospital to try and get to know her better. Hoping one day, he could be the bridge to make us meet.

He knew I was always busy and wouldn’t be able to come over without a good reason, so he asked Amara to call me. The rest, they say, is history.

I did all I could to keep my private life out of the spotlight, so there wasn’t much drama with the media, but some lying bloggers tried to spread fake news about us. We passed that test.

When a jealous admin staff, Ellen, tried to frame me for cheating. Amara put her in her place, sharply and ordered for her dismissal. That was so hot. We passed that test.

My parents, sister and brother in law, absolutely adored her and her parents, brother and sister in law, absolutely adored me. We passed that test.

I only had two close friends, Harry Badmus and Jola Osagie, the former based in US, the latter based in UK. We hardly ever had any time for each other, but we met at MIT. When they came to Lagos and met my sweetheart, they BOTH said she should call them if I 'misbehaved'. She passed that test.

When that spongebob, Dr Emeka, kept trying to flirt with my woman at work. I called him to order, and told him to stay away from her if he knew what was good for him. She said he was harmless and I overreacted. But she thought it was hot. We passed that test.

She was effortlessly beautiful and hardly ever wore make-up, often wearing very conservative clothes. She understood that being with me she would have to ‘step up' her look. Amara was beautiful before, after she was breathtaking. She passed that test.

My parents did not find out about our break up until the tenth day. They blamed me immediately. Dad said that when our relationship hit the six month mark, I should have told her about what happened.

He said that when he and mum were dating, they had a fight that could have ended their relationship, because of some things that they didn’t open up about. Dad told me that I should sort this matter out myself and win her back. 

I tried to reach out to her but she didn’t respond.

Amara had trust and anxiety issues. I could see in her eyes and her actions that she cared so much for me. I never felt so respected and cherished by a woman. Most were after the fame and fortune. Amara didn't care for money or gifts, she valued quality time so much more, but something was holding her back.