𝒇𝒊𝒗𝒆

-~-

-~-

The next day, Adeline and Sherlock found themselves in the company of Mycroft, he had yet again called them to speak about the exploits of young Enola.

"No one on the trains, no one on the boats, no one anywhere." Mycroft said walking over, without greeting either of them. Adeline and Sherlock both looked up at the sound of his voice. Adeline rolled her eyes at his rudeness, but that was Mycroft for you.

"The girl has simply vanished." Sherlock continued reading his newspaper knowing Mycroft could go on for a while.

"Of course it doesn't help that England's suddenly consumed by this ridiculous marquess." Adeline looked towards Sherlock, a marquess you say?

Sherlock seemed to be thinking the same thing, because it was only yesterday that a 'raving family' in the words of the ticket seller were looking for a marquess at the very train station that Enola departed from.

An attendant asked Mycroft for his drink order.

"You haven't been offered it, have you?" Mycroft asked.

"What?" Sherlock responded

"The marquess case." Mycroft remarked, with a tone that said, what else? Sherlock although kept reading his paper.

"I knew his father, obnoxious sort. Liberal, but worth a fortune." Mycroft continued.

"I have, and I have refused it. I'm rather more consumed elsewhere." Sherlock finally replied.

"Oh, in finding Mother?"

"In finding Enola, Mycroft." Adeline piped up. Mycroft was being oblivious.

"No." Mycroft pointed his finger towards the two.

"No."

"Your job I made clear, Sherlock, was to find Mother. And you Adeline, you needn't worry yourself with these matters." Mycroft finished.

"We're looking for her too, as will, no doubt, Enola." Sherlock explained reaching for his own glass of Sherry.

"You never cared about her before." Mycroft questioned.

"She's only 16." Sherlock said, thinking of what Adeline had said a few days ago. You forget she has only just turned 16.

Mycroft and Sherlock shared a hard look, before Sherlock turned back to his paper. Adeline was happy that finally Sherlock was beginning to care for Enola.

Mycroft readjusted his sitting position and said.

"You haven't given our name in the search for her."

"Of course not." Sherlock and Adeline replied at the same time, their eyes flashed to each other for a few seconds before turning back to Mycroft.

"I don't want anyone knowing our business any more than you do." Sherlock explained.

"Oh don't worry little brother. She may have escaped us for now, but I have the best police officers in London looking for a child matching her description.

Sherlock's eyebrows furrowed as he read something in the newspaper. As Mycroft continued

"And they will find that stupid little girl and bring her back to us."

"Mycroft." Adeline said sharply.

"Do take care in how you speak of your sister." Adeline narrowed her eyes at him, Mycroft shifted uncomfortably and looked away.

Sherlock closed his paper, and looked towards Mycroft who was now showing the front cover of his own.

"Reform."

"God help us. If there's one thing this country doesn't need, it's more uneducated voters. England is going to pot."

-~-

Sherlock and Adeline were now back in the carriage, the snap of the whip and the horses' feet stomping could be heard as the carriage started moving.

"Take a look at this." Sherlock said, passing the newspaper towards Adeline and pointing at an article.

DISTURBANCE ON LONDON EXPRESS.

--

TWO BOYS LEAP FROM TRAIN.

Adeline looked up at Sherlock, after reading the first couple of lines. London bound train... had left Basilwether Station.

"You don't think..." She started.

"That it was Enola? Yes, yes I do." Sherlock replied.

"But why? And who is the second boy?" Adeline asked, now becoming exceedingly worried for the safety of Enola if she is pulling stunts like this.

"And if you read further, it says they were moving with a man in a bowler hat, except he did not jump off, nor was he seen for the rest of the train ride." Sherlock said, Adeline read more of the article.

"You believe they were being chased?" Adeline inquired. Sherlock nodded in response.

"I have some suspicions, but none that I can confirm as of yet." Sherlock said.

"And will you tell me them then?" Adeline asked. Sherlock thought for a second.

"Not at the present time, Addy, when I have more evidence, certainly." Adeline pursed her lips but nodded, knowing how Sherlock's mind worked.

Sherlock grabbed her hand carefully and brought it up to his lips. He laid a kiss upon it and said.

"Thank you for being here, with me, and for being patient." Adeline smiled at him.

"There is no place I'd rather be."

The carriage came to a stop outside of where Adeline's lodgings for her time in London. Sherlock stepped out first, and held out a hand for Adeline to take for her while she descended. Once her feet hit the ground Sherlock asked.

"How do you feel taking a turn about the park with me tomorrow morning?"

"But what about your search for Enola and your mother?" Adeline asked, this was unlike Sherlock to put off a mystery, much less one about his missing sister.

"I will no doubt continue my search for them, I only wish to spend some time with you." Sherlock responded.

"Then I shall enjoy that very much." Adeline remarked with a smile.

"Very good, I shall arrive at your lodgings at fifteen minutes past ten tomorrow." Sherlock said.

"I'll be waiting." Adeline smiled.

-~-