16| Permission

Chapter 16: Permission (Leo's POV)

I locked my car and rang the doorbell and their housemaid once again, let me in and guided me to Jack's study. I went inside, not bothering to knock as always.

You knock on her door.

Stop.

She's been playing in my mind on a loop since last night. She fell asleep before I did, leaving me wondering about what the hell I was feeling. She made me laugh. She made me smile. Multiple times within twenty-four hours. That's insane to me. I think I was starting to like her.

You already do.

Shut up.

Seriously though, I think I do. And now that I'm here to speak to her dad, it's the icing on the cake that my face is going to be smashed in.

"Leo, have a seat," he smiled, putting the phone down. "So, how is she?" he asked.

"She's fine, safe," I nodded.

"That's not what I meant," he replied, "Is she bothering you? Is she comfortable there?"

"She's comfortable, Jack. We're taking care of her," I explained, "But your daughter will be the death of me," I sighed, running my hand through my hair. He looked at me in confusion so I explained. "There was one request you made before I took her with me."

He nodded, "Bring her back alive?"

I clicked my tongue, "No."

He realized it, "Don't get attached and don't let her get attached either, yes, I remember," he nodded once again. I scratched my head, wincing at the reaction I was picturing he would have. I hesitantly looked up at him. He leaned back in his chair, facepalming. "You're kidding."

"I wish," I sighed in defeat.

"You've gotten attached to her? You?" he asked, shellshocked.

"I'm pretty sure it's not just me."

"How do you mean?"

"She made me smile, Jack. And laugh. Within a day. She even shared a bed with me," I huffed, my eyes widening as I recalled he was her dad. "Not like that!" I exclaimed.

He looked at me wide-eyed. "You smiled?" he gaped at me. I let out a breath I didn't realize I was holding before nodding. "She put in the effort it took to put a smile on your face?"

I nodded again. "I spoke to her about mom," I admitted.

He sighed and straightened up. "Leo, she's just like you. Once she gets attached, she doesn't let it go. She turns a blind eye to all the wrong that person can do."

"And I can do a lot of wrong, can't I?" He looked at me sympathetically. I nodded slowly, "I understand where you're coming from," I huffed, pinching the bridge of my nose, "I just don't know what to do now," I paused, "Because I think I like her." I hesitated to look up at him and when I did, he was staring at me, dumbfounded. "You know what? Forget about it, let's just discuss how you-"

"Do you really like her, son?"

I glanced up at him. "I-" I huffed.

Get it together, Leo.

"I haven't had someone care so much about me in years. It- it's weird and it's overwhelming. But I like her. She made me happy, Jack. And I don't just mean she made me laugh and smile, she made me happy. Genuinely. And I know you don't want her anywhere near someone like me, but you know I'm the only one that can keep her safe."