Twenty-Nine

~ Cover designed by thejukes {Thanks so much } 😊 ~

"Mum, I'm home!" I yell as I close the door behind me. I drop my bag by the door as I make my way towards the kitchen.

"Oh hi honey, how was your day?" she asks, she was sitting down at the kitchen counter with a book in her hands.

"Oh you know..." I say calmly, walking over to her. My mum looks up at me, raising her eyebrow. "School is school, always the same boring stuff," I say yawning. I walk over to the fridge and grab a bottle of water.

"Okay honey..." she says frowning slightly, but goes back to reading her story. How was I going to get her to talk? without giving away that I knew. This may be tougher than I first thought.

"Mum.." I say quietly, after I had taken a sip of my water.

"Hmm," my mum mumbles still reading. I roll my eyes.

"Mother!" I say a little louder, this time she looked up at me while sighing.

"Yes Aurora," she says a little impatiently. Crap! she was already impatient, not a good sign.

Abort mission! Abort! Abort!

"Why don't you talk about Leo?" my mums eyes widen at the name.

"Leo who sweetie?" she asks, looking back down at her book. I sigh.

"My dad mum, Leo Keith," I say walking over and taking the seat beside her.

"Why don't you talk about Chase?" she questions me, putting the book down to glance over at me. I flinch from the flashback I got when she said his name.

"Away from you."
"Go back to where you belong Aurora."
"Goodbye my Aurora."

"It's hard to explain.." I trail off, looking away from my mum. Chase has nothing to do with this anyway, I tell myself. I take a deep breathe and realise that mum was talking.

"... to explain too honey," mum says giving me a small, sad smile. I guess her first words that I missed was 'It's hard' oh great now that just sounds wrong. I shake my head to try and get rid of my naughty thoughts.

"Please mum," I beg her. "I need some answers, don't you think?..." I ask her, my mum sighs but nods her head.

"Fine, fair enough sweetie," I mentally do a happy dance, finally I was about to get some answers.

"But you're giving me some answers too," she says sternly, I nod my head sadly. I watch as my mum takes a sip of her coffee before finally her mouth opens.

"Mum! Aurora! I kinda need some help," cries Becky from the front door. I sigh in defeat as my mum frowns but rushes out of the kitchen to help my sister.

"I'll be right back honey," she calls. I continue to stare out the kitchen window, overlooking the front yard and street. It may be three thirty, but there wasn't any life outside the window. No animals in sight, or people, the trees didn't sway to the wind. It was oddly quiet and...

"Aurora! Catch that kitten!" I hear my mum shout loudly, after I had heard a loud bang. What kitten? Catch? I didn't have much time to think about it when I see a flash of colour in the corner of my eye enter the kitchen. I get off the bar stool slowly, leaving my drink on the counter. I see the fluffy thing run around the dining room, it was a cute looking tabby kitten.

"Here kitty kitty!" I say softly as I walk over to the front of the dining room. I had no idea why there was currently a kitten inside our house but I've learnt not to question my family, at least not until everything's under control.