T W E N T Y - S I X

Elmo launched into song as AJ shoved a block into her hand. Urging her to continue adding layers onto the unsteady house they were building. She snapped it on a random block on top and watched as the tower swayed precariously. AJ's eyes widened but when the tower stabilized he grabbed another block to add on top Thrilled at the seeing the tower sway so close to disaster. 

Sidney tore her eyes away from the teetering tower at her curtains drawn tightly across her windows. She didn't know whether she did it lock herself in or to keep reality out. Lord knows she tried like hell to right herself. To stabilize somehow but she felt the tower of her spirit tipping toward a crash ever since she saw that face again. It had haunted her for the last six years and seeing him just a few few feet away made collapse in on herself again. Back to that place of numbed silence.

AJ grabbed a blue block and she watched him analyze the tower. Contemplating whether to risk adding another piece to the top. He'd seen it sway and almost fall before so instead he reached toward the structure and added the block to the bottom. And then he added another before shoving one into her hand. He looked at her with expectant round eyes. Sid understood and smiled as she locked her green block into place at the base next to his. Adding more blocks to the bottom helped stabilize the tower. He knew that at nearly two years old. You're on to something little man. Sid would need to call in reinforcements.

Sidney scooped him up in his PJ's. With her keys and phone in hand she entered the hallway and made her way down to Chante's apartment. Her slippers slapped against the tile as she approached Chante's door and knocked. No one answered. It was already mid-morning and Chante wasn't known to stay in the house for long. She knocked again and waited. After hearing shuffling inside she saw the cover of the peephole swing to the side. She tried to smile but she couldn't and just hoped her scowled wouldn't stop Chanter from opening the door. The locks unlatched and Chante opened the door a crack.

"Hey! Is AJ okay?" Chante scanned AJ's little body curled up in Sid's arms and then took in Sidney. Along with a gaping hole under the arm, her shirt was a size too small and clung to her breasts and hips in all the wrong places. She looked like a mother in deep struggle.

"Yeah, he's fine. Can I come in?" Sid tossed a hip into the door. Chante, fearing injury to her toes backed up and Sid used the opening to slide into the apartment.

The scent of Bath & Body Works Sweet Pea fragrance wafted through the air. Mixed with another fragrance. Sid looked down the hall just in time to see Nixon emerging from the bathroom pulling a shirt down over his head. Sid hadn't seen him since her was channeling a rap God at his video shoot. He was just as confident now as he was then. His jeans riding low on his waist, exposing the band of bright white Tommy Hilfiger boxer briefs. Sid turned away to avoid following the sparse trail of hair that led below his belt. Only to turn toward Chante and see that she was clad in only a thin nightgown that barely contained her deep walnut hue of her cleavage.

"Sid, this is Nixon. This is Sid, Nix. I told you about her. We grew up together."

"Yeah, you came through my video shoot right?"

"Yeah. Great song." Sid shifted AJ and her eyes toward the corner of the living room. The only safe place where her eyes wouldn't land on someones skin.

"Thank you! So I gained a fan."

"Nah." Sid met his gaze. The song was catchy but she also found it simplistic and redundant. After growing up on lyricist like Biggie Smalls and Jay Z she didn't much care for trap music.

"Told you she was rude." Chante said sauntering over to him. Nixon just laughed.

"She ain't rude. She's honest. I like that shit." He planted a quick peck on Chante's forward and then went over to Sid and extended his hand for a dap which Sid returned.