꧁16꧂

I WAS STILL FEELING SLIGHT PAIN as we sat on the edge of the water, our feet dipped in

I WAS STILL FEELING SLIGHT PAIN as we sat on the edge of the water, our feet dipped in. The night was dark, and I could hear Peeta getting water from the spile from a few feet away. Katniss continued to stare at Finnick, who looked a bit thrown off as he rubbed salt water all over his hands, "I'm sorry about Mags."

Silence lingered for 10 seconds, "She was never gonna make it, so..."

Katniss awkwardly nodded and then looked at me, "You feeling better?"

"It still hurts a little bit, but I'm good," I assured her... I would be lying if I said I didn't feel guilty about nearly killing her.

Katniss scoffed lightly, "You seem to be having it the worst."

"I'm pretty sure the gamemakers are targeting me intentionally," I chuckled back, "They all kinda hate me after Alexie."

"I, uh, I hope you know that— I believe you," she nodded, rubbing water on her hands as well, "About—"

I cut her off before she could say Alexie's name... I had just got used to saying it, I couldn't handle someone else saying it just yet, "Thanks."

I looked around, analyzing the dark... But something quickly caught my eye and made my entire body paralyze. I stared at the creature on the tree behind Katniss. Finnick furrowed his eyebrows as he saw my intense stare on the tree, but his face quickly fell as he looked over and saw what I saw.

A monkey.

The monkey was brown with a ginormous red mouth and ears. The sides of it's face had yellow hair as well, "Oh. My. God."

Katniss turned around, and the minute she saw the multiple monkeys, she slowly stood up and grabbed one of her arrows. I grabbed the waist strap that held multiple knives and slowly clicked it onto my waist like a fanny pack... I internally thanked myself for loading up the strap before hand.

As Katniss held onto her bow and arrow and I was getting into position to grab one of my knives, Finnick bent down slowly and picked up his trident. More monkeys were approaching, making me sweat.

"Peeta," Katniss spoke, her voice shaky.

"Yeah?"

"Walk over here slowly," she croaked her voice still shivering. Peeta was up next to the spile, close to where the monkeys were. As soon as Peeta turned his head to see what we were all staring at with fear behind him, a monkey opened it's mouth to be the size of Peeta's head, and roared only inches from his face.

They all gathered around Peeta, and their roars made the ground shake. Peeta slowly backed away, but the monkeys only got closer. Peeta joined the spot next to Katniss.

Katniss and Peeta were facing one side, and Finnick and I were facing the other... And then it hit me.

Riffian.