꧁14꧂

WE WERE ALTERNATING WATCH to get some rest, and it was my turn

WE WERE ALTERNATING WATCH to get some rest, and it was my turn. Well, it was Finnick's turn, but I insisted on keeping watch. I couldn't sleep either way, so it didn't make sense for Finnick, who was clearly exhausted, to stay up.

The music was playing as the screen in front of us showed the 8 dead tributes so far. The unfamiliar faces were there, along with the number of their district on top of them. I scoffed, noticing Finnick and Katniss' awakening at the music, "Do they have to play this shit at night?"

"It's like a summary," Peeta noted, "They play it at the end of the day to summarize all the dead tributes— It wouldn't make sense to do it in the afternoon."

"Dude," I looked over and glared at Peeta, "It was rhetorical."

The music died down, making the silence feel even quieter than it was before. But the silence was quickly invaded by a small beeping sound, almost like a little alarm. It was distant, but it sounded as if it were getting closer and closer every beep it gave. Katniss looked up and quickly ran, which caused me to look up too.

A small metal capsule was slowly coming down with a little parachute attached to the top. Usually those capsules held some kind of help or medicine sent by a mentor... I had gotten a few from Riffian when he was my mentor in my games.

Katniss quickly grabbed the capsule and opened it, tossing a piece of paper that was on top of it onto the floor. I shot up from the dirt I was sitting on and strut over to her, reading what the paper she had tossed onto the floor said.

'Drink up. -H'

I assumed it was from Haymitch. A small metal tube was sitting in the capsule... I furrowed my eyebrows and stared at it, "He could've been more specific on the note."

"What is it?" Finnick questioned, walking next to me and behind Katniss.

"It's from Haymitch," she said, grabbing the tube and staring at it closely. But she had a moment of realization as she stood back up, "I think it's a spile."

"A what?" Finnick asked, looking at me in hopes for answers. I shrugged. The word 'spile' clearly excited Riff as he got up from the rock he was laying on and ran to the tree Katniss had walked off too.

Katniss was hammering in the spile into the tree with a rock until the tube was fully inserted. She stared at the tube that was in the tree, almost waiting for something to happen. Finnick was kneeling next to her, and I was standing behind everyone, still confused.

The silence and tension that lasted for about 10 seconds was cut off by Katniss' gasp, and the sound of water falling. I widened my eyes at the sight of the spile pouring out water from the tree as Katniss got under it and chugged the liquid.

"You kidding me?!" Finnick happily exclaimed, but Peeta got to the spile before Finnick, taking a sip.

"Holy shit," I smiled, getting behind Finnick as if we were kids at school getting in line for lunch. Finnick quickly got under the spile as soon as Peeta stepped back and kept his mouth open underneath it... Chugging the water. He then grabbed a handful and washed his face.