Chapter 25

If these sheets were the states, and you were miles away,

I'd fold them end over end to bring you closer to me.

Because I don't sleep at all without you pressed up against me.

~ All Time Low "If These Were States"

"I hate the Cullens," Paul complained.

"You're only saying that because the strong one kicked your ass that one time," Jared laughed. A while ago, Paul had crossed the territory line while trying to catch Victoria, and Emmett had attacked him. 

"That's only one of the reasons I hate them," Paul corrected. "Don't act like you like them."

Paul was right, no one in the pack liked the Cullens. Except maybe Seth, but even then, he was mostly just grateful that they had protected Brooklyn. It wasn't really like he wanted to be best friends with them or anything. 

Their conversation was interrupted by the front door opening.

"It's not fucking happening," Brooklyn stormed into the house with Seth right behind her.

"It would only be for a little while," Seth said. "Just until we get things under control here."

"No," Brooklyn replied flatly.

"I'm just trying to keep you safe," Seth pleaded.

"How is sending me away going to keep me safe?" she demanded. "It just means that you'll be farther away if anything happens."

"But it also means that you'll be farther away from what's happening here," Seth said. "Look, I hate it too, but Paul and your mom agree with me— you'll be safer at your dad's house in California."

"You knew about this?" Brooklyn seethed as she looked at Paul.

"Uh— yeah," Paul said lamely. "Look, there's too much going on here. We're in a bit over our heads with this newborn army thing, and making sure you and the baby are safe in sunny California where the vampire population is lower would put everyone more at ease. And the more focused we are on the problem at hand, the quicker we can fix it, and the quicker you can come home."

"Oh, so I'm a distraction now?" Brooklyn asked angrily. She couldn't believe this. She was in her third trimester of pregnancy, she was hormonal and exhausted all the time, she had to pee like every twenty minutes, and she couldn't even see her feet enough to tie her own shoes anymore. Not to mention, being this far along in her pregnancy meant that she wasn't allowed to travel by plane anymore— not that it was recommended in any trimester of pregnancy. How the fuck were they expecting her to get to California? It was like a twenty-something hour car ride. There was no way that was happening.

"Babe, that's not what he meant," Seth tried to soothe her. "He just meant that if we knew for sure that you were safe, we could focus more of our energy into making La Push safe for when you got back."

Brooklyn gave him a dubious glare. 

"I promise, the second it's safe for you to come back, I'll come and get you myself," Seth said.

"Did my dad even agree to this?" Brooklyn asked.

"You said that he wanted you to stay for the summer," Paul said. "This is basically the same thing, just a couple of months early."

"That's not how invitations work, Paul," Brooklyn rolled her eyes. "You can't just change the time on him without telling him. And what about school? Am I supposed to just miss the rest of the year?"

"The teachers were already going to give you special accommodations for when you got too pregnant for school— we'll just tell them that you need the accommodations now. Besides, it's not like you've been enjoying school lately. You keep telling us how people keep looking at you and whispering and stuff," Seth told her. "And hopefully, you'll only be gone for a couple of weeks tops."

"What if I go into labor while I'm gone, and you aren't there?" Brooklyn asks. Her voice is suddenly a lot less angry, and a lot more scared. 

Seth wraps his arms around her. "I promise, I will do my best to be there."

"But what if you're not?" Brooklyn asked.

"Then it will be because I absolutely couldn't be there," Seth told her. "I wish I could promise that I'll be there no matter what, but I just don't know if it'll work out that way. I can only promise to do my best, and be there for you as soon as I possibly can."

"Okay," Brooklyn said. She wasn't happy about it, but what was she supposed to do? If this is what Seth was saying was safest, then she was going to do it. She had to make sure that her baby was safe, and she knew that the pack would make sure that Seth was safe.

"But how am I supposed to get there?" she asked. "I'm not supposed to go on planes while I'm pregnant— there's too much radiation."

Paul and Seth shared a look. No one had thought about that.

"Ask Shawn to drive with you in your car over the weekend, and then he can fly back alone," Paul suggested reluctantly. He wasn't over their fight, but he figured that having Shawn tag along would make Brooklyn happier.

"Okay," Brooklyn conceded. "But you have to pay for gas, snacks, and Shawn's plane ticket."

"Fine," Paul huffed as he walked away to rejoin the guys at the table.

"Thank you," Seth said "I know it wasn't easy for you to agree to all of this, and I want you to know that I really appreciate it."

"Anything for you," Brooklyn said as she pulled him in for a kiss. "I have to go make some phone calls, I guess."

Two days later, her bags were packed, and she was hugging her family goodbye as Shawn waited in the driver's seat of her car. She was so glad that he had agreed to come with her, but she felt bad for having to lie to him about the reason why she was going— he didn't know about vampires after all.

"Stay safe," her mom said. "I love you so much."

"I love you too, Mom," Brooklyn sniffled.

"See you soon, Brooke," Paul said as he pulled her into a bone-crushing hug.

"Bye, Paul," she said "Love you."

She turned to Seth. "Promise you'll call every day?"

"I promise," he said. "And I'll text you so much that you'll want to block my number."

Brooklyn laughed tearily. "Please be okay while I'm gone. No dying. Remember?"

"No dying," Seth agreed. He bent down to talk to the baby. "Please wait until you're home to come out. I really want to be there when you're born, Ellie. And please let your mom sleep— I know you love to kick at night, but I won't be there to talk to you. I love you both so much."

He placed a kiss on Brooklyn's bump, and rose to meet her eyes. 

"I love you so much too," she said.

Their lips connected in one last passionate kiss, and then it was time for her to leave.