Chapter 10

I've been holding out so long

I've been sleeping all alone

Lord I miss you

~ The Rolling Stones "Miss You"

It had only been two days since Jared had found out about Seth and Brooklyn's relationship, and Paul had yet to find out. Seth was still on edge about it though. It's not like he didn't trust Jared to keep his secret— his pack was his family, and he trusted them all with his life— he just knew how easy it was to let secrets slip when they were phased. That's how he had found out that Embry still slept with his baby blanket, and Quil had an inexplicable fear of balloons. Not to mention, that's how Jared had found out about Seth's secret.

Right now they were all at Sam and Emily's house. Emily had made an assortment of food to keep the pack at bay. Since phasing, Seth's appetite had increased tenfold, so had everyone else's in the pack. They were all sat around the dining room table, talking and laughing, and eating. Embry Call had joined the pack yesterday, and Quil and Jake were ecstatic because their friend group was finally reunited. Seth was jealous of that. He wished that he could reunite with his best friend, but it was highly unlikely she would phase— Leah was the first and only female wolf in tribal history.

Seth was sitting next to Jared and his imprint Kim, and Paul was sitting across from them. Leah was out running patrol with Quil, so he couldn't sit with her. Although, she had been especially angry lately, so he wasn't sure he would have wanted to sit with her if she was here.

"Hey, Paul, have you talked to your sister recently?" Kim asked out of nowhere. Seth's interest piqued. Had something happened with Brooklyn?

"Uh, no. Not since I left home. Why?" Paul responded.

"Well, my friend Hannah is on the soccer team, and she told me that Brooklyn quit the team yesterday," Kim told him.

"But she's trying to get a scholarship so that she can go to college," Seth interjected. "Why would she quit the team?"

"I don't know," Kim said, but her face said something different. She knew something they didn't.

"Babe, you know something," Jared said to her.

"No, I don't," she said unconvincingly.

"If there's something going on with my sister, don't you think I should know about it?" Paul asked her.

"Well, it's just that... I heard this rumor," Kim confessed. "But you know how rumors are in La Push. They're almost always wrong."

"Kim, just tell us already," said Seth. He was dying to know what was going on with Brooklyn, especially since he wasn't allowed to see or talk to her right now.

"Okay, well, Hannah said that Brooklyn quit the team because their coach was doing one of those random drug tests. And she's been hanging out with that Shawn guy a lot lately. Everyone knows he's a druggie, and so like, the rumor that I've been hearing around school is that she's... following in his path, I guess," Kim said.

"So you're saying Brooklyn is on drugs?" Seth asks. That was so unlike her. Sure, she smoked weed with him on occasion, but she was really strict about not doing it during soccer season, and she would never do any hardcore drugs. Would she?

"No. I'm saying that's what I heard," Kim corrects him. "There's no proof that it's actually true."

"I'm gonna kill him," Paul seethes. The room falls silent.