Chapter 11: Alone

I looked at her for a few moments, it just did not seem true to me. Christian had his head lowered to the ground, I could not cone to him for advice, I would have to find out if it was true or not myself... But how, if she was with them then surely they took her back with them.
Shannon was staring at me right in my eyes, I was actually a bit scared by that even though I knew that she could not and would not do anything to me. She was looking at me like this was my fault though. But how could a blame her, she clearly believed that my sister was a traitor.
I looked back over at Christian who was still staring at the ground. He then looked over at me when he saw that I was looking at him. He just stared me down for a few moments, but he did not say a thing to me. Was he a part of this as well? It would not surprise me at this point.
"There is no way that my sister could have betrayed us... She loves me, and she loves my brother..." I said to them. I could not bring myself to say anything else though. Now that I thought about it, we were the only things she really cared about in this community now.
In a weird way it was starting to make sense, I wanted to say that it was impossible and to completely put it out of the question but I could not bring myself to it. She always had a weird look on her face when we were talking about the community.
I always took it off as normal, I knew that she did not like a lot of the people in the community, but why would that mean that she would betray us and let them in... It still did not seem right to me, I then thought back as to when we had met Tony.
Something did not seem right with him either, I kind of took that as him just being with a group that must have done things to him, he must have seen terrible things. But now I was not too sure... The look on his face when I told him about Angela, I thought it was maybe because of him finding a knew woman to love, but now I was not too sure.
"There's no way... She would never do that, she loves me and my brother too much." I said expressing my thoughts to them. Christian looked at me and then he nodded, but Shannon did not look to sure though, and neither did Aidan, but that was because he did not know my sister.
Shannon looked at me for a few moments right in my eyes as if I was a bit stupid. I looked back at her a bit confused as to what she could have been thinking about. Maybe thinking that my sister was the reason that her council had been killed.
"Ben... There is a lot of things that you do not know about your sister. Do not rule that out, she let in people that were spying on us. She was there when it all happened with their leader." Shannon said to me. I closed my eyes, I still had some sort of hope that none of this could be true.
It was impossible, my sister was not an evil person, she would not do what they were accusing her of, I could tell even by the look on the face of Christian that he was not too sure. I knew my sister my whole life, she would never do anything like that.
"Ben... There is way that you can think in your mind that your sister would do that, but trust me, the world is evil, and your sister might have been a part of that." Christian said to me. I looked at him, I would have hoped he would have said something that might cheer me up, but that was clearly not the case.
I lowered my head to the ground, I did not want to believe it... No, I knew my sister when she was young, she was never evil. Even when she was very young she was a completely different person but she was still not evil. I looked back up at Shannon as she began talking once again, I was starting to hate the sound of her voice.
"Ben... You may not think it is true because you are not evil yourself. If you don't think evil, than you don't think of others as evil." She said to me. I looked at her for a few moments and then I nodded. The way she had said that, I realized it to be a bit true.
I was not evil, and neither was my brother. He did not have a bone in his body that thought of anything as evil. It started to make sense now though, Angela always thought of Shannon as evil, she might have been putting that into my brain.
"I know Angela, I was on a mission with her before. There is no way that it is true, and it is like Ben said... She would not do that with Liam and him still here." Jordan said. I looked at him, I almost wanted to smile, he put all of my thoughts into a perfect piece right there.
Shannon looked at him for a few moments, then she put a finger to her chin. She was clearly thinking of those thoughts, but after a few more seconds she then looked over at me and then she shook her head at me, I did not want to hear what she would say next.
"Ben... She knows that you go outside the walls often, she knows that Liam is smart... Hell, she could have told them to leave him alone. Don't take those thoughts out of your brain quite yet." Shannon said to me. I looked at her for a few moments, what she said made a bit of sense to me.
I looked over at Aidan, he was listening to all that we were saying to each other with great intent. I figured I might as well tell him my thoughts, and to help them as soon as possible, I already knew that their little group would be on the run some time soon.
"Aidan... If this is true, be weary of Tony. Who was talking to you on the walkie?" I asked him. He looked at me for a few moments, and then he nodded at me.
"Yes, we already took that into consideration when we saw the scar. I will notify them to lock him up for now, we would trust him with a walkie so soon, we don't even trust most of the people there." Aidan said to me. I looked at him and then I nodded gratefully.
I looked back over to Christian, he was looking at the ground once again, I could not blame him. I should be doing the same right now, but I had too many questions to do that. I turned back over to Shannon, she was looking at her dead council members once again, but as I spoke she turned back over to me.
"Shannon... If that were so, she did not know I was going to be out of the walls when she let them in." I said to her. She looked at me for a few moments, then she had a bit of a weird and scary grin put on her face. I wondered what she must be thinking in her head.
I would never know when it came to her, she always seemed to be like she was in a different world, maybe that came with being the leader of our community. She then nodded to me as her little grin then went away and she went back onto her serious self.
"Was she not pushing you hard for so long to want to go do a job outside of the walls? She did her best to get you that job, that was for sure." Shannon said to me. She had a bit of a rasp on her tone which confused me a bit but I did not say anything about it.
She was right, Angela had been pushing me for a while that it was good to work outside of the community, I never thought of it like that, because I never thought of us being attacked, much less my own sister betraying us, and now my brain was asking myself so many questions.
"I guess you are right, I did not think about it like that, but I still do not believe my sister would do something like that... Why would she not just be the one talking to the other group? She could tell them a lot more about us then they could." I said to her. It was a very good question and everyone around me each nodded to me.
I could tell that Shannon was thinking deep into her brain on how this could even be possible. I was trying my best to at least keep some sort of hope that my sister was not evil. That was the best question that I had asked all day, that a would at least get a decent answer too.
"I don't know Ben, maybe it was because she was a part of us, she had a job outside of the walls. She can't do the type of stuff that those others could have done." She said to me. I looked at her for a few moments, I still was not too sure about it but I nodded to her anyways.
Christian was looking at me right in my eyes in a bit of a weird way. I looked away from him, I still did not want to trust him either, he was close to my whole family. I looked back over at Aidan, he was nodding to Shannon, as if she was speaking the truth.
Maybe I was just too blind to realize that it could be a possibility, there was still some sort of hope that I was lingering to that it was not, but it was slowly fading away, as things soon started to become a harsh reality to me. I looked down at the ground just like Christian had been doing moments before.
Christian then walked over to me, I wanted to be left alone right now, I just wanted to think to myself. But it did not seem like anyone was going to let that happen to me. I looked up at him a bit upset but he did not seem to notice or he just ignored it.
"Ben, I believe in you and I trust you, but there is a lot more evil in this world than you can imagine... Don't be trusting of even the closest people to you." He said to me. I looked at him for a few moments, and then I nodded to him.
I did not want to listen to him, it was a bit harsh. I wanted to think it was impossible, I wanted to think, to know that that my sister would have never done something like that, but I still could not bring myself in to that. All of what they had said, it all made sense and it was beginning to add up.
I walked over to the bench that Aidan was no longer sitting at and I sat down on it and I looked at the ground, the grass... It was green, for not much longer, I knew that it was around the time of year when the grass was starting to die out.
Just like our community was about to, we would not make it long without our best people and without our council. The reality was harsh, it was a fact though, the community was about to go into a downward slope once they found out that we were giving them over half of our food.
No one would want to work anymore, living would be pointless to a lot of the people here. I closed my eyes for a few moments, but as soon as I did that I heard Shannon begin speaking.
"Now... Can you all leave, I must finish what they started with my council, I just want to be alone..."