26

"How are you feeling now?"

Josiah watched Lumi with nervous eyes. She had her head in his lap, a low groan leaving her at his words as she rolled over to stare up at him.

"I think I'm going to throw up."

He immediately hit the top of the carriage. "Stop! Ramus, make them stop!"

The carriage slowly came to a halt, and Lumi groaned again at the sudden motion it made in pausing.

"We're almost there..." Josiah looked out the window, making Lumi laugh.

"We're not even close."

He sighed and shook his head, watching as she sat up and exited the carriage. She extended her arms in the air, inhaling deeply as the guards that surrounded watched.

"The rocking motion is killing me. I don't know how much more I can take. Can't I just walk next to it?"

Lumi heard Josiah's voice firmly say from inside the carriage, "absolutely not."

She groaned and her voice took on a faint whine as she turned back to face him, "then let me ride with Ramus. I feel like I'm suffocating in there."

She heard Josiah's long sigh from inside the carriage.

"I'm sorry." Lumi was. She had delayed their travel already by three days. At this rate, they were going to arrive the week of the wedding in a hurried and unexplained state. That was not the image the Galexious Kingdom was wanting to present.

"You should have left me at home."

Josiah stuck his head out finally, his scowl causing Lumi to unconsciously smile, "if you're faking this to try to skip out, then I'm not having it. Sick or not, you're going."

Lumi threw her head back and startled the guards with her sudden yell of frustration.

"I can't stand this!"

"Well you're going to have to!"

"I'm going to throw up!"

"I'll have Ramus get a bucket!"

Lumi gave another whine of annoyance. "Josiahhhhh."

He shook his head, mocking her tone as he complained back with her, "Lumiiiii."

They both glared at one another, the guards standing to the side awkwardly as they waited in silence to see what would happen next. There was no one else around to witness their King and Queen's bickering as they sat idle on the road.

"We're almost to the border. If we keep going we can make it there by the end of the day. Then it's only two more days of traveling.

Lumi stared dejectedly at the ground. Josiah watched her and sighed, opening the door to the carriage in an offering for her.

"Come on, get in."

"I'm going to throw up."

"Don't. If you throw up, then I'm going to be sick. Just stick your head out the window. We're in a hurry."

Lumi pointed an accusing finger towards him, "You're my husband!"

"Yes, and as your husband, I'm telling you to get back in the carriage!"

The guards sighed, their horses shifting restlessly underneath them, ready to be back on the move. This was not the first interruption they had had in their trip and the guards knew it would not be the last.

*   *   *

Lumi rested her head on Josiah's shoulder, the wet cloth secure to her forehead.